NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Titles and Synopses!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Story Titles and Synopses!
    Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:03am
You did it! You wrote a thing that didn't exist a few days ago, out of a bizarre handful of prompts. Everyone gets first place from me just for that ;)

REMINDER: Do not post your story until we get a confirmation email from NYCM in a few days. A dedicated sub-forum will then appear, titled Short Story 2022 Review.

Until then, drop your title and synopsis down below! I'll go first.

Group 83 - thriller / maternity / a missileman.

On Wings of Wax and Light

Imprisoned and alone, Icarus is haunted by the eldritch terrors of the Labyrinth. As he feels himself falling for the sun god, Apollo, Icarus dares to wonder if there’s more to life than simply surviving.

SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:04am
Group: 202 / Genre: Mystery / Subject: Fool's gold / Character: A trooper

And When the Other Shoe Drops, It Will Shatter

When a queen is murdered, her estranged family is brought to the castle for questioning
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:04am
Thank you for posting this, Zoe! <3

Group 223 - fairy tale / nidification / a shut-in

The Snakes That Are in Your Heart

Nidah lost her heart the day her mother was eaten by a giant snake. But, when she goes down into a snake nest to kill the snake that ate her mother, she must choose between her vengeance and her mother’s memory.

First time I've rushed an oh-no-it's-due-in-10-minutes synopsis in a long time, lol. Can't wait to read everyone's stories!

Edited by taaaylor - 23 Jan 2022 at 12:05am
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:05am

Oh man, and that concludes Round 1! I was in Group 211: Comedy, Surprise Party, One Trick Pony. I finished my first draft on Thursday, hated it. Edited it, still hated it. Got some other perspectives on Friday, still despised it. Decided to rewrite the whole thing as a completely different story today and submitted it at 12:56. I. Am. Exhausted. But so happy with my decision. I love my new story so much more

Group 211: Comedy, Surprise Party, One Trick Pony 

The Black Sheep

Jenny, your average aspiring musician, introduces her boyfriend to her far from average family

Edited by Betzer - 23 Jan 2022 at 12:06am
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:06am

Group 110: Romance / RSVP / an user

A Lifetime of Moments
Sometimes love is like a stone thrown in a pond; only ripples are left behind. 

(Yes, I know it sounds like a cheesy Hallmark movie, but I promise, it's not like that at all... LOL)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:07am
Such a big thanks to my beta readers. 
This one was really hard for me, first time romance.

68 Romance - A tea party - an empty nester.

A Life After Death

When the kids have left, and the significant other has died, where do you go from there?

It is great to see all the new people on the forums! I have enjoyed 

reading your posts!

Edited by Suave - 23 Jan 2022 at 12:09am
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:07am
group 139 (I think)
Historical fiction  :  Mastering a skill  :  a Troublemaker

Eternal Patrol

A young sailor contends with a troublesome officer and his own qualifications as he works to find a place on the Navy’s newest submarine

This sig intentionally blank
AmbiDexter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmbiDexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:07am
I think the only two genres I didn't want under any circumstances were comedy or historical fiction... then I got assigned political satire. I had no idea it was a genre, and it's definitely out of my comfort zone. Somehow, I still managed to make something I'm pretty proud of!

Group 181: Political Satire - Crowdsourcing - A hacker

Washed It All Away
When Monty grows fed up with a corporation’s multi-generational monopoly over the town’s water supply, he gathers his coworkers to take back what they’ve earned.

Edited by AmbiDexter - 23 Jan 2022 at 12:08am
lnLala View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lnLala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:08am
Group 225: Spy / Robotics / an Embezzler

Claim Deeds and Cockroaches

At Prospect Mine, starving miners aren’t getting paid, and rumor is someone’s been cooking the books. The bot mechanic sets out with her pet cockroach and a half-cocked plan to find out who’s to blame.
FF23 Ch3 Gr13 Confession (thriller)
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:13am
Group 8
Thriller / private property / a roller skater

Hillman's House of Valkyries

David is excited that his girlfriend Courtney has finally agreed to show him around her favorite place, the Hillman Estate.  But as wonder turns to horror, David is forced to make life-altering decisions that will ultimately decide his fate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>