NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Round 3 - Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Chasen Chasen wrote:

Group 9: Horror, formal attire, miner

A Gift of Faeth

When the owner of a mining company kills the black cat that has been living peacefully among the workers, the workers see her repeated resurrection and mischief-making as a sign.  But is she a demon or a miracle; a curse or a warning?

Ooooooooh I like it!
SS R3: Debridement
Screenplay R2: Hope Strings Eternal
ideallyowlish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ideallyowlish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 10:44am
GROUP 2: Suspense / Bullet-proof / A Rancher

WE'LL THAW IT OUT ONE DAY
___

Forgotten for fifteen years, a leg of venison vanishes from the family chest freezer. A divorcée confronts her ex-husband about it, but why the wire... and why the bullet-proof vest?

Edited by ideallyowlish - 24 May 2021 at 10:45am
The Shadow of The Waxwing - 2nd
The Queen's Plainsong - 1st
We'll Thaw It Out One Day
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ideallyowlish ideallyowlish wrote:

___

Forgotten for fifteen years, a leg of venison vanishes from the family chest freezer. A divorcée confronts her ex-husband about it, but why the wire... and why the bullet-proof vest?

Yo just so you know, Shadow of the Waxwing is one of my favorite short stories ever. Like, not amateur stories, stories period. So I'm hella stoked to read this one.
SS1 Cursebreaker

SS2 A Great Apocalypse

SS3 Chance Encounter at the Jewel of the Desert
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by joshaxel joshaxel wrote:

Great to see some group mates!

Originally posted by dias dias wrote:

Group 1 - Ghost story/superficial/hotelier

THE CASE NOTES OF MISS DOROTHY DARLING

Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

Group 1 - superficial - a hotelier

Colin’s manning the front desk and wishes certain persons took “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” more to heart.

Hard to say whether I've written a ghost story with this one, among other challenges that it sounds like everyone confronted in our lovely 48 hour writing spell. Here's mine:

The Single-Stemmed Peony

Synopsis: A pregnant woman, running from an agreement she no longer wishes to fulfill, checks into a hotel, and is confronted with the choices she has made.

So many from Group 1 represented already!
SS1 Cursebreaker

SS2 A Great Apocalypse

SS3 Chance Encounter at the Jewel of the Desert
ideallyowlish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ideallyowlish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by AubreyZahn AubreyZahn wrote:

___

Yo just so you know, Shadow of the Waxwing is one of my favorite short stories ever. Like, not amateur stories, stories period. So I'm hella stoked to read this one.

I don't even know what to say, wow, thank you! I've gone bright red haha. This one's not quite so formally experimental (a pretentiousness that always seems to bite me in the ass in Round 3!) but I hope you like it anyhow Smile
The Shadow of The Waxwing - 2nd
The Queen's Plainsong - 1st
We'll Thaw It Out One Day
Pineapplepizza View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pineapplepizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:05pm
I also had great beta readers! What a coincidence.
Talia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:14pm

I was in group 2: suspense, rancher, bulletproof.

After looking through this post, there's some absolutely killer titles and loglines! I'm looking forward to getting to read the full stories in a few days ❤️

Between Their Eyes

Brief Synopsis: Unfortunate circumstances force a rancher and her husband to kill off their entire herd of cattle. But is their plan to get through the process as bulletproof as they hope?

EdithLockwood View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdithLockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:35pm
Group 3: comedy - immortality - a statistician. 

This is the second time I got comedy! Cry

Title: Where All the Brownies are Edge Pieces

Synopsis: Gunther’s mathematical formula sorts souls in the afterlife. When a heavenly soul seems a little suspicious, it’s up to the plucky statistician to solve the problem.

SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:42pm

___

Wow! I want to read this just as much as I hate that you're in my group :)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R8C9pnLWVi4LY5SGHjxBQFLcc4SQ9duKdrSmGf6tuzc/edit?usp=sharing
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:32pm
Group 10 - mystery / a loophole / a huckster

First time writing mystery and definitely experienced several "I have no idea what I'm doing" moments! Good luck all.

Clause Fifty-Two

Tribune reporter Miss Dale is investigating the controversial Clause Fifty-Two, but when she stumbles upon the murder of one of the city’s most notorious business moguls, she is forced to quickly work out who is her friend and who her enemy.

Edited by Steven Kay - 26 May 2021 at 12:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic