NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Round 1 Titles and Synopses!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 85>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennaBenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

Originally posted by JennaBenna JennaBenna wrote:

Group 9: Horror, A Carpenter, A Binge 

The Carpenter’s Restoration

Solo carpenter seeks lively new bud. DM me if you measure up.

I think it's GENIUS, Jenna! Love the "measure up" as a carpenter reference. There's just enough that I'm intrigued and want to read based on this, without giving away surprises. Plus you mention the carpenter criteria right up front. I can't imagine they'd fault you for this. Good luck! Can't wait to read this one if you post it.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be posting. I’ve never written a horror before and can’t wait until April to get the judges’ feedback, so the forum friends will be the next best thing. 😜
Sponsored Links

T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by HerbMcGruff HerbMcGruff wrote:

First time writing fiction, first time entering a writing competition and first time posting in a forum... gulp... Does that make me the ultimate newbie?!

I haven't seen any other heat mates yet, I'm in Group 80, Horror - An eviction - An egomaniac 

"The Keepers" 
A small town mayor has finally figured out how to save her town but instead her decision may be the thing that dooms it. 

Wow! The triple crown, eh? Congratulations on a great title and synopsis! I'm thinking you'll fit in around here just fine. Wink
Tracy
2019 SS G134 R1 MOMENT OF GRACE
He survived the plague only to face the hangman's noose. But it's his guilt that has a stranglehold.
SuperEllie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperEllie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

Originally posted by SuperEllie SuperEllie wrote:

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Ha, thanks, Tracy! But don't count your chickens before they hatch. I can't seem to stop Monday morning quarterbacking this thing, thinking of the plot holes and inconsistences I'm CERTAIN are running rampant throughout the story.

I think we're all in that boat today. I got rave reviews from my beta readers, so went into submission feeling pretty confident. Then this morning hubby says he read finally read it and "it was okay. The beginning was kind of confusing."

WHA?!?! Seriously Dude? 

Ha. I finally let my husband read mine this morning, and all he's said so far is "I thought you said this was a short story. This says it's six pages."

*face/desk*

You guys crack me up!  My gentleman hasn't read mine yet, but this is exactly why I asked friends to beta mine instead of my partner. lol!

I don't even tell my husband I'm writing a story anymore. His reaction has always been "Ehhhh I don't get it."

Also, when I told him I'd bought copies of the anthology with my first published story to give to our local libraries, he laughed and said, "You're so pathetic." So there's that.

Ouch! what's your story title and heat? I want to put it on my list so I can be supportive!
Heat 8: Mystery/Father in Law/Tardiness -
Far From Home
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

group 88:

fantasy / a snowstorm / a nemesis

the girl in the ghost dress lies 

“All the old stories tell the same lie:

that in order to thwart the prophecy

which foretold that he would murder Oðin

in the final battle of Ragnarök,

the great wolf Fenrir agreed to be magically bound.

Let me sing you a song of truth.”

Well. Crap. I just gotta.
ShStCh1 H38 - Clearly, a Sin
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by SuperEllie SuperEllie wrote:

Ouch! what's your story title and heat? I want to put it on my list so I can be supportive!

Thanks. Smile  I'm in 28, apparently the only one, and it's ...umm... what the heck did I call the thing, anyway... oh -- "Hurt No More (or, The Princess and the Gunslinger)". Trigger warning on the shooting part, though, so feel free to inquire into specifics if it might be a problem. Hopefully anyone who might have a problem with it will already know to avoid the "Gunslinger" heat anyway.
SSC R1 G28 Fairy Tale/Repetition/Gunslinger Hurt No More (or, The Princess and the Gunslinger)
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by emily.vieweg emily.vieweg wrote:

Group 134: Drama, Nostalgia, Chauffeur

Title:
Rewind

Synopsis:
Gayle's last fare of the night was in crisis. Nobody expected what happened next.

YAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, someone else from 134!!! :D  Love your title and synopsis. I'll be sure to give it a read!

MOMENT OF GRACE
Two men wait to die—one rightly accused, one falsely. Can either find freedom?
Tracy
He survived the plague only to face the hangman's noose. But it's his guilt that has a stranglehold.
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by lnLala lnLala wrote:

Group #35 Drama / revenge / a seasonal worker

The Tactical Superiority of Cargo Pants

A frustrated divorcée, forced to become a seasonal worker, finds a creative way to get revenge on her narcissistic ex-wife.

Title alone makes me want to sleep with your story. I'll have to settle for reading it.

Edited by Zblugg - 27 Jan 2019 at 9:13pm
ShStCh1 H38 - Clearly, a Sin
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Originally posted by lnLala lnLala wrote:

Group #35 Drama / revenge / a seasonal worker

The Tactical Superiority of Cargo Pants

A frustrated divorcée, forced to become a seasonal worker, finds a creative way to get revenge on her narcissistic ex-wife.

Title alone makes me want to sleep with your story. I'll have to settle for reading it.

That's a bad idea.  You get all sweaty, then pages start sticking to you, the ink rubs off...it's a mess and always ends in tears.
SSC 2019 R1: Alone Together
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Briana Una Briana Una wrote:

Gr 2: Crime Caper/ entrapment/ an heir

Straight Pride

Three criminals kidnap a prince the night before his nuptials, hoping for a hefty ransom. Unfortunately for them, the prince is convinced that the kidnapping is a sex thing.

Dang! Another one I have to add to my must read list. I'm going to be BUSY this week!!! Big smile
Tracy
Daphne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daphne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm
55 / Historical Fiction / a quest / accountant

The Three Graces

The Three Graces have mysterious files filled with quests and dreams, a full-time accountant, and a file cat.  Are they key to our greatest successes and losses?

So... set 1955-1969... civil rights and moon landing... which isn't clear in synopsis... I blame nerves and wine. 

For the others that commented about partners as readers... mine doesn't read fiction. At all.  Opposites and all I guess. Thank goodness for others who do!
Happy with the feedback? PAY IT FORWARD on a random post with 0 or 1 or 2, or 3

The Three Graces
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 85>
  Share Topic