NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story results less than 24 hours away!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Story results less than 24 hours away!
    Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 1:59am
Anybody else sweating it out?  It's been almost seven and a half MONTHS since the SSC began, such a long, pressure-packed road...and now the finish line looms.  I've been in five finals since I started doing NYCM contests and every time, I feel like the last couple days of waiting are just so damn strange.  It's this weird mix of excitement and dread, (Yay, I did well! or F*#k me, I washed out) like Schrodinger's Cat--but the box gets opened soon, and I don't get to keep on living with the hopefulness.  Soon, "potential" turns into "fact" and there's something a little sad about that.  Am I alone in thinking like this?  Just curious for others' perspectives...

Trey
SSC R4 A Worthy Investment
FFC Ch1 8 Minutes to Eagle Tail
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 8:55am

Good luck Trey!
Avalon23 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avalon23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 9:39am
Ugh!  This last stretch has been brutal.  I don't even have any hope of placing - I got way too in the weeds on this one.  I just want it to be over and official.  

I haven't been in a final before.  Will they really make us wait until midnight?  Does feedback come at the same time as the results for this round, or like in the other rounds will it follow a day or two later?

Good luck, everyone!
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Avalon23 Avalon23 wrote:

I haven't been in a final before.  Will they really make us wait until midnight?  Does feedback come at the same time as the results for this round, or like in the other rounds will it follow a day or two later?

They've gone a <little> early in the past, but I think for the most part it has been 11pm-12pm NYC time.  Like the other rounds, the feedback follows on the next day.  Good luck!!

Trey
SSC R4 A Worthy Investment
FFC Ch1 8 Minutes to Eagle Tail
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Avalon23 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avalon23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 10:38am
<groan!> 

Thanks for the intel.  Won't stop me from refreshing constantly, but good to know.     :)

Looking forward to seeing how your story does.  I enjoyed it very much from reading it here - I think it will do well.
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 10:43am
I'm so excited FOR you all! I was out R1 with an HM, but I truly couldn't imagine competing from January through August! Even MF100 final results at the end of September seem ages away, and we've only been competing since June, so our competition will be 3 months from start to finish instead of, like you said, SEVEN! 

Not sure if I'll do SSC next year; it's truly quite the undertaking LOL All of you are fantastic writers--bummer that only ~10 posted to the forums! I wish password-protected forum posts weren't considered a form of publishing since I'm sure that deters some people who would otherwise like to share their stories.
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 12:52pm
Refreshing my mailbox though I know it will not come out until the early morning here. Can't believe it has been that long since R1! Am pendling between really liking my story and seeing all the flaws... 

BTW posting on the forum is not considered published as it is behind a password. Is more like a workshopping location (of which there are many online). Might well send out the story after revising and expanding it. 
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by LivStrom LivStrom wrote:

BTW posting on the forum is not considered published as it is behind a password. Is more like a workshopping location (of which there are many online). Might well send out the story after revising and expanding it. 

Oh great, that’s wonderful to know! Thanks so much for the clarification LOL And best of luck to everyone waiting for results!!
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 2:42pm
It has been weird having a couple weeks without any writing competitions at this point. ^_^  I am jazzed for the results tonight, trying to prep myself for not making the list - shushing the voice that says "2 in 9 chance of placing" - and looking forward to going back and finding and congratulating forum winners. Best of luck to everyone!
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 8:48pm
Everyone's stories were so good, I have no idea what to expect. I just have my email open on my second screen, waiting for the notification...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic