NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Registration WAIT WHAT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NerdyDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:30pm
I am waiting to see my feedback from the judges on MFC before making a determination if I am going to be participating in this. 

Why? Because if the judges say something like "your internal monologue should have been italicized" after our being unable to submit formatted text, I may have to flip a table. 

(A judge judged my first submission for not putting internal monologue in italics. Another character reacted to the spoken text that this judge believed should have been internal monologue.) 
ruagray View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruagray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 1:31pm
On the plus side, I think that the MFC is the only one that asks you to paste the story itself into the window and that's what messes with formatting. The FFC and SFC allow you to upload a file, so you shouldn't have to worry about that particular problem.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by NerdyDan NerdyDan wrote:

I am waiting to see my feedback from the judges on MFC before making a determination if I am going to be participating in this. 

Why? Because if the judges say something like "your internal monologue should have been italicized" after our being unable to submit formatted text, I may have to flip a table. 

(A judge judged my first submission for not putting internal monologue in italics. Another character reacted to the spoken text that this judge believed should have been internal monologue.) 

TABLE should have been capitalized as the first occurrence of the object.  -5 points.

Big smile

Edited by Random - 15 Nov 2019 at 4:10pm
This Sig Intentionally Blank
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 12:15am
The $72 NZD stung a little, but short story is really what I’m here for, just killing time with flash and micro 😆

This will be my first time as a second time competitor too, as last year’s SSC was my first NYCM. 

And yes, I am now trapped here forever also. 

Edited by OnyxLily - 16 Nov 2019 at 12:15am
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 3:56am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Oh, of course I signed up. We're all trapped here.

Ha ha, yes! But I'm so grateful... like someone else said too, I hadn't written since school until I joined the SSC last year. 
It's going to feel really long now after flash! As in, the word count.
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

The $72 NZD stung a little, but short story is really what I’m here for, just killing time with flash and micro 😆

This will be my first time as a second time competitor too, as last year’s SSC was my first NYCM. 

And yes, I am now trapped here forever also. 

$72 NZD? Ouch. 

True story--I hesitated to enter the 3-day novel writing contest earlier this year because they were asking for $60. As it turns out, since they're based in Canada, that meant $60 Canadian dollars. YAY! I entered. 
kizernix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:55pm
I'm in. I've decided to use NYCM to throw me into foreign territories with their prompts/objects and see what crazy sh*t comes out of it! 

I'm honing in as a writer on Sci-Fi so I've made the decision that whatever genre they give me will be blended into Sci-Fi for my story.  Romantic Comedy/Sci-Fi?  Crime Caper/Sci-Fi?  These practically write themselves! lol 
NerdyDan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NerdyDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by ruagray ruagray wrote:

On the plus side, I think that the MFC is the only one that asks you to paste the story itself into the window and that's what messes with formatting. The FFC and SFC allow you to upload a file, so you shouldn't have to worry about that particular problem.

My problem wouldn't be that I was not allowed to submit formatted text. If I would get the feedback that my internal monologue was not italicized, given that we were unable to italicize it, that is where I would flip said table. 
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by kizernix kizernix wrote:

I'm honing in as a writer on Sci-Fi so I've made the decision that whatever genre they give me will be blended into Sci-Fi for my story.  Romantic Comedy/Sci-Fi?  Crime Caper/Sci-Fi?  These practically write themselves! lol 

Same but with comedy. I used to dread getting horror. Now I can’t wait to get it so I can do comedy/horror!
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by kizernix kizernix wrote:

I'm in. I've decided to use NYCM to throw me into foreign territories with their prompts/objects and see what crazy sh*t comes out of it! 

I have great plans for a historical/sci-fi/comedy involving an inept time traveler, if i ever pull the right prompts ...
Micro19: The Jig is Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic