NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Comp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 1:36pm
Third time's a charm maybe? *fingers crossed*
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 1:42pm

I'm in! Last SS I ended up with ghost stories in R1 and 2.... I wonder who I bribe for a nice drama?
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 2:12pm
I got up to the final last time, but didn't place. Must remedy that this year!! :D
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 3:21pm
Wait, character assignment? What is up with that? I'm assume it's a vague character and nothing specific about them, right? Like a doctor or a teacher? And I assume it's like the object in Flash Fiction, they don't need to be the main character, but just included?
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

Wait, character assignment? What is up with that? I'm assume it's a vague character and nothing specific about them, right? Like a doctor or a teacher? And I assume it's like the object in Flash Fiction, they don't need to be the main character, but just included?

First round I had "a braggart," second round "a firefighter." It doesn't have to be the MC, but they do have to be significant to the story. (Unlike the item which can be mentioned in passing.)
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

Looks like registration is now open!

I think I will go for it, just so I've had a go at each of the competitions at least once. The extra breathing room on word count in Short Story does appeal.

I think going forward I'll settle on just the two prose competitions each year, but the script writing is fun too and something different for me, and will be hard to say no to.

Basically I love the whole process and the forums that support it - definitely addicted!   

This is exactly my situation.

Addicted to EVERYTHING, but choices will have to be made. Since Prose is more up my alley, I might cocentrate on FF and Short Story, but Screenplays are FUN, dammit!

I'll see how things go in Short Screenplay and take it from there. My performance in Screenplay (a 2nd and an HM) was nothing to be frowned upon, either, so...

AARRRGG! CHOICES! LOL
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

This starts up right when my deadline for my film school application is, so that's good. I should be able to put everything into this.

I have 8 days and a more liberal word count? Gives me a 96.435% chance of winning!

In the era of spin, you just made stats talk in your favor, sir! LOL
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:10am
This FFC is my first foray into NYCM. It's been so much fun! I'm going to try short story, but I think the expanded word limit is going to be strange. 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

This FFC is my first foray into NYCM. It's been so much fun! I'm going to try short story, but I think the expanded word limit is going to be strange. 

Ooh, be careful. Last year's FFC was my first time with NYCM, too, and since then I've done SSC, both screenplays, back at FFC again this year, and well.. Yeah.  It's addictive. But a blast! Hope to see you in Short Story! :) 
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:58pm
It's definitely addictive. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>