NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Challenge 3 Title & Synopsis Chain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

Heat 1
Suspense // An Appointment // A Cat Owner

For One Basket of Jade

Consumed by greed, a man bargains for his heart’s latest desire.

Will the first ray of dawn illuminate his wish?

All the stories sound great -- can't wait to read them! Good luck, everyone. :)

Oh, no, you're in my heat? There go my chances! LOL

I'm laughing kind of at all the people who were like "oh no historical fiction" and I went "Suspense? Eh, I can make historical suspense." 

I did the same thing with drama, lol! I was like, "Meh, I'll just make it historical fiction." I mean, it's worked before, so maybe I'll get lucky again. Tongue

Yeah, I figure if they aren't sure on that they should at LEAST give me credit for actually putting the prompt person PHYSICALLY in the story this time (since in R1 and R2 they never actually appear, to the point I called my R1 story "The Artist Is Not Present." Okay that was also a joke on a title of a real work/performance piece but it also was a deliberate middle finger to the prompt.)

I always go historical, if I can. It's more fun to write! Suspense, however, sucks as a genre, imo. I'm eager to read everyone else's stories to see how badly I'm going to lose this round...

I lean towards historical as well...But I also LOVE suspense and horror. If I can twist a story into one (or all three) of those, I do.
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Banana Banana wrote:

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Heat 5, Romantic Comedy, a ceremony, a procrastinator.
Title: Dear @&$!ing Helen
Synopsis: A lovelorn pet store owner encounters an old flame at a funeral.
Originally posted by sidle_by sidle_by wrote:

Group 5: rom com/a ceremony/a procrastinator

All the Devils are Singing 

Fontaine, a mage working on his PhD, uses an ancient text to forge a Contract with a demon. Unfortunately, he doesn’t quite get the translation right.

Hey there, heatmates! Hope you survived the rom-com experience. How was it? It was a first for me, and I didn't find it the most 'exciting' genre, especially with the incredible shrinking wordcount.
Looking forward to reading your work later this week, if you post. And then, of course, reading as many of the others as possible. 

I have never written romcom before, and was horrified to see it. I sat down and wrote it, and I think it might be the best thing I’ve ever done! I had so much fun writing it. I’m going to play around with this genre some more.

I’m so excited that you love your piece!! It’s always great when you end up with something you really like!
Looking forward to reading it :)
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Heat 5, Romantic Comedy, a ceremony, a procrastinator.
Title: Dear @&$!ing Helen
Synopsis: A lovelorn pet store owner encounters an old flame at a funeral.
Originally posted by sidle_by sidle_by wrote:

Group 5: rom com/a ceremony/a procrastinator

All the Devils are Singing 

Fontaine, a mage working on his PhD, uses an ancient text to forge a Contract with a demon. Unfortunately, he doesn’t quite get the translation right.

Hey there, heatmates! Hope you survived the rom-com experience. How was it? It was a first for me, and I didn't find it the most 'exciting' genre, especially with the incredible shrinking wordcount.
Looking forward to reading your work later this week, if you post. And then, of course, reading as many of the others as possible. 

I have never written romcom before, and was horrified to see it. I sat down and wrote it, and I think it might be the best thing I’ve ever done! I had so much fun writing it. I’m going to play around with this genre some more.

Bang go the rest of our chances, then ;) 
I guess I watch the occasional romcom film - I like Sleepless in Seattle and Something's Gotta Give, and the one with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt is ok, too, but... write one?! I don't think I've ever read a romcom outside of NYCM return-reads in my life!
Anyway, I watched a Mark Kermode programme about romcoms, and used the tropes. But I have NO idea if I've written anything ok or not. 
ideallyowlish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ideallyowlish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by SJR090 SJR090 wrote:

Originally posted by ideallyowlish ideallyowlish wrote:

Originally posted by SJR090 SJR090 wrote:

First to post from Heat 3, I guess!

Ghost Story/Compromise/An animal trainer

Laurie’s Bay

The white wings of a boy’s owl were a sign of safe berth in Laurie’s Bay until the night she escapes his grasp. Years later, his son returns to the bay and his owl returns to the cliffs above the sea.

Hey heat mate! Smile Looking forward to reading this! How did you find the prompts? 

Oh no! Fierce competition LOL 

Possibly the nicest prompts I've had from nyc so far (I really hate prompts that force you into a specific time or place) but second ghost story in a row was exhausting. How about you?

Ah, I think I may be the opposite sometimes! I find myself wistfully yearning for the location based prompts of the Flash Fiction competition. I'd much rather fill a unique location with characters I've made up than try and find a setting for a character I've been handed, but that may just be me! 

Ghost story is a new one, haven't attempted the genre since I was a kid. Trying to find an original take on animal trainer was tricky, everything thing seemed a little too obvious. Likewise 'Compromise', which as a subject matter seemed inherently a little anticlimactic, until I landed on a secondary definition. Fingers crossed it works! LOL
R1 The Sodfather or something, I guess
R2 El Tiburón y El Pez Piloto - 1st
R3 CLOTH MOTHER, WIRE MOTHER
kearanne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:51pm
Excited to read all the ghost stories and historical fictions.... Love how many are still on the forums!!

I had Heat 6 - SciFi, a repairman, a promotion

The Spare

In a future rife with infertility and science bordering on magic, being born second is illegal. Our heroine’s very existence is a crime – will she be able to free herself before it’s too late?

Building a SciFi world and actually managing a full storyline in 1500 words was... interesting? I actually really like my story, but it was 2350 words before cuts, so I'm worried I had to chip away at far too much of the world building. We shall see!

Looking forward to reading everyone's work for this round :)
ericthemed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericthemed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Heat 1: Suspense/an appointment/a cat owner

Trapped: Vanessa ventures to Chinatown to consult Lao, a mysterious man who offers relief from her
crippling anxiety and depression. Could his promises of rebirth lead to disastrous results?
NorthernPixels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:06pm
H6: Sci-fi/A Promotion/A Repairman

Error and Deceased

Synopsis:
She’s just been offered the gig of a lifetime, but now Miriam thinks she might be pregnant. With her Bioscanner on the fritz, she resorts to installing an AI to help fix it. 

I echo the sentiment of how hard world-building at 1500 words. Love the challenge. Good luck everyone. 

Edited by NorthernPixels - 18 May 2020 at 8:36pm
SS R2 (Fantasy) - A DEVIL'S DAUGHTER

SS R3 (Sci-fi) - ERROR AND DECEASED

RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:46pm
I’m even completely intimidated by the quality of other people’s Title and Synopsis. 
What hope have I got!
The following is not exactly mine, but it a
May as well be ....
Sci-fi/A repairman/A promotion

‘The Conversation’
Some guy who’s a repairman talks to another guy who isn’t. One of the guys gets a promotion.
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:39pm
I also had heat 6, sci fi/promotion/repairman.

Don’t Call it a UFO

The Air Force has no idea what they’ve found, but the Pentagon wants answers. Maybe the janitor can clean up this mess?

SSC20 R3 H6:Don't Call it a UFO
Kevin Thomas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:08am
H6: sci-fi / a promotion / a repairman

TIME PIECES

It was a leap of faith for Charlotte to open her own watch-repair shop,
but her first job calls for a leap much, much farther.

Three guesses what kind of sci-fi story this is... and the first two don't count.

I hope everyone posting their loglines will also post their stories cause they're all sparking my curiosity!
SSC2020 R3 H6 Time Pieces
R2 H23 In the Clutch of the Giant
R1 H20 Two Thousand Feet Over Tonga
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic