NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Challenge 3 Title & Synopsis Chain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by SJR090 SJR090 wrote:

First to post from Heat 3, I guess!

Ghost Story/Compromise/An animal trainer

Laurie’s Bay

The white wings of a boy’s owl were a sign of safe berth in Laurie’s Bay until the night she escapes his grasp. Years later, his son returns to the bay and his owl returns to the cliffs above the sea.

Hi, heatmate! I love your title/synopsis--can't wait to read! :-)
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:25am
Round 3/Group 3

Ghost Story
Compromise
Animal Trainer

Familiar Spirits

It is said some things must be seen to be believed; what exactly must Julie witness in order to become convinced of all that her employer holds dear?  
juliaro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:33am
group 8: historical fiction, hypocrisy, a playwright

Over the Dark and Brightened Lands
Far from his home in war-torn Europe, an aspiring writer struggles to make sense of his trauma while starting a new life in New York.

In spite of the fact that I am a historian, this is probably the story that I have been the least satisfied with immediately after submitting. LOL oh well--always a good feeling to get it done! 
Banana View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Originally posted by Banana Banana wrote:

Heat 5, Romantic Comedy, a ceremony, a procrastinator.
Title: Dear @&$!ing Helen
Synopsis: A lovelorn pet store owner encounters an old flame at a funeral.
Originally posted by sidle_by sidle_by wrote:

Group 5: rom com/a ceremony/a procrastinator

All the Devils are Singing 

Fontaine, a mage working on his PhD, uses an ancient text to forge a Contract with a demon. Unfortunately, he doesn’t quite get the translation right.

Hey there, heatmates! Hope you survived the rom-com experience. How was it? It was a first for me, and I didn't find it the most 'exciting' genre, especially with the incredible shrinking wordcount.
Looking forward to reading your work later this week, if you post. And then, of course, reading as many of the others as possible. 

I have never written romcom before, and was horrified to see it. I sat down and wrote it, and I think it might be the best thing I’ve ever done! I had so much fun writing it. I’m going to play around with this genre some more.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

Heat 1
Suspense // An Appointment // A Cat Owner

For One Basket of Jade

Consumed by greed, a man bargains for his heart’s latest desire.

Will the first ray of dawn illuminate his wish?

All the stories sound great -- can't wait to read them! Good luck, everyone. :)

Oh, no, you're in my heat? There go my chances! LOL

I'm laughing kind of at all the people who were like "oh no historical fiction" and I went "Suspense? Eh, I can make historical suspense." 
SSC 2020 R3 G1: Hermitage
MF100 R1: Minder
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Heat 1

For One Basket of Jade

I'm laughing kind of at all the people who were like "oh no historical fiction" and I went "Suspense? Eh, I can make historical suspense." 

I did the same thing with drama, lol! I was like, "Meh, I'll just make it historical fiction." I mean, it's worked before, so maybe I'll get lucky again. Tongue
ideallyowlish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ideallyowlish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by ophelialit74 ophelialit74 wrote:

Round 3/Group 3

Ghost Story
Compromise
Animal Trainer

Familiar Spirits

It is said some things must be seen to be believed; what exactly must Julie witness in order to become convinced of all that her employer holds dear?  

Hey heatmate! Looking forward to seeing what you made of the prompts Smile
R1 The Sodfather or something, I guess
R2 El Tiburón y El Pez Piloto - 1st
R3 CLOTH MOTHER, WIRE MOTHER
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Heat 1

For One Basket of Jade

I did the same thing with drama, lol! I was like, "Meh, I'll just make it historical fiction." I mean, it's worked before, so maybe I'll get lucky again. Tongue

Yeah, I figure if they aren't sure on that they should at LEAST give me credit for actually putting the prompt person PHYSICALLY in the story this time (since in R1 and R2 they never actually appear, to the point I called my R1 story "The Artist Is Not Present." Okay that was also a joke on a title of a real work/performance piece but it also was a deliberate middle finger to the prompt.)
SSC 2020 R3 G1: Hermitage
MF100 R1: Minder
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:01pm

Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Heat 1

For One Basket of Jade

Yeah, I figure if they aren't sure on that they should at LEAST give me credit for actually putting the prompt person PHYSICALLY in the story this time (since in R1 and R2 they never actually appear, to the point I called my R1 story "The Artist Is Not Present." Okay that was also a joke on a title of a real work/performance piece but it also was a deliberate middle finger to the prompt.)

I always go historical, if I can. It's more fun to write! Suspense, however, sucks as a genre, imo. I'm eager to read everyone else's stories to see how badly I'm going to lose this round...
SSC R3 For One Basket of Jade - Suspense
SJR090 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJR090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ideallyowlish ideallyowlish wrote:

Originally posted by SJR090 SJR090 wrote:

First to post from Heat 3, I guess!

Ghost Story/Compromise/An animal trainer

Laurie’s Bay

The white wings of a boy’s owl were a sign of safe berth in Laurie’s Bay until the night she escapes his grasp. Years later, his son returns to the bay and his owl returns to the cliffs above the sea.

Hey heat mate! Smile Looking forward to reading this! How did you find the prompts? 

Oh no! Fierce competition LOL 

Possibly the nicest prompts I've had from nyc so far (I really hate prompts that force you into a specific time or place) but second ghost story in a row was exhausting. How about you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic