NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Challenge 3 Title & Synopsis Chain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Story Challenge 3 Title & Synopsis Chain
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:08am
I'll start the ball rolling:

Heat 8: Historical Fiction (bleccch)/Hypocrisy/Playwright

Double Entendre

In 1927, a small Broadway theater company runs afoul of New York City’s self-appointed “morality police”.  The only thing standing between the company and imprisonment (or worse) is their playwright—a talented woman with a scandalous gift for words.

Historical Fiction gives me fits--there's just too much to choose from!  I'd so rather get a tighter-defined genre.  Oh well, gave it my best shot.

SSC 2020 - R3 H8 Double Entendre
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
FFC 2017 - 1st
regannoelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regannoelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:13am
Group 8: historical fiction / hypocrisy / playwright 

All’s Well That Ends With Custard

Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair 1920s Manhattan, where we lay our scene. From malicious lies to budding romance, where the truth leaves hypocrisy finally seen. 

Edited by regannoelle - 18 May 2020 at 12:13am
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:13am
Heat 1, Suspense/an appointment/a cat owner

"Hermitage"

Sometimes a person imagines they’re being followed. Sometimes they’re right.

So this is basically a suspenseful historical fiction that could be read as a spy story. I pretty much view "suspense" as "feeling impending dread" and since I'm simultaneously reading "St Petersburg: Madness, Murder, and Art on the Banks of the Neva" and "The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia" AND just saw something about the cats of the Hermitage (they are TOTALLY A REAL THING and even have their own kitchen now) and it seemed logical. 
SSC 2020 R3 G1: Hermitage
MF100 R1: Minder
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regannoelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:15am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Double Entendre

In 1927, a small Broadway theater company runs afoul of New York City’s self-appointed “morality police”.  The only thing standing between the company and imprisonment (or worse) is their playwright—a talented woman with a scandalous gift for words.

Historical Fiction gives me fits--there's just too much to choose from!  I'd so rather get a tighter-defined genre.  Oh well, gave it my best shot.

Hello, heatmate! This sounds so good! Can’t wait to read, if you decided to post.
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:20am
Originally posted by regannoelle regannoelle wrote:

Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Double Entendre

Hello, heatmate! This sounds so good! Can’t wait to read, if you decided to post.

Oh, I'm definitely gonna post--how could I not?  2017 FFC champ vs 2019 FFC champ in the same heat.  Woo hoo! :)

Trey
SSC 2020 - R3 H8 Double Entendre
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
FFC 2017 - 1st
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:27am
Heat One: Suspense/A cat-owner/An appointment 

AMBROSIA AND OLD MRS. WHITTAKER

Agoraphobia is manageable, especially with a cat’s company-- But when the outside forces its way in, where will Mrs. Whittaker turn?

fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:28am
Heat 5 - romcom - a ceremony - a procrastinator

Double Whammy

As the single mother of an active toddler, dating is the last thing on Kirsty’s to-do list. Besides – it’s a jungle out there.

Romantic comedy. Hmmm. Oh well. The deed is done. 
Lexiconundrum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexiconundrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:32am
Heat 8 - Historical fiction,  hypocrisy, playwright 

The Things They Say You Are

Marilyn Monroe has checked into a mental hospital for rest and recovery after her divorce from playwright Arthur Miller, but the doctors won't let her leave until she admits she has a serious mental illness. She'll have to get creative if she ever wants to get out of this place.
FF 2019 CH2 Group 88 - Millennials are Ruining Hell for Everyone, say Death, Beelzebub, and Nestle CEO
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regannoelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Lexiconundrum Lexiconundrum wrote:

Marilyn Monroe has checked into a mental hospital for rest and recovery after her divorce from playwright Arthur Miller, but the doctors won't let her leave until she admits she has a serious mental illness. She'll have to get creative if she ever wants to get out of this place.

Hello, groupmate! LOVE this title, and the premise sounds so cool! Can’t wait to read, if you post!
Lexiconundrum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexiconundrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:57am
Originally posted by regannoelle regannoelle wrote:

Originally posted by Lexiconundrum Lexiconundrum wrote:

Hello, groupmate! LOVE this title, and the premise sounds so cool! Can’t wait to read, if you post!

Thanks! I will try to post this round, and I hope you do, too! Also omg, historic fiction, amirite? I went down so many research rabbit holes!
FF 2019 CH2 Group 88 - Millennials are Ruining Hell for Everyone, say Death, Beelzebub, and Nestle CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic