NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Challenge 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 7:18am

@hughsviewsandnews

When I checked that site, I clicked "exit this survey" and it came up with a place to upload my file. Presumably the same thing happens when you click "done" and then you upload your file on the next page. On the initial email they sent out, it said you can also email them your story as a backup after you've done the upload bit just in case something goes wrong. Hopefully that will calm the panic nerves... 

LOL Confused Ouch Dead
gij316 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gij316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:23am
I'm in heat 43 as well.  This is my first ghost story.  Every time I think I want to hit submit, I chicken out.

At some point I'll have to hold my breath and just click it.  I've actually started to fill out the form and backed out twice this morning.  I don't think it's scary, but at least there are a couple ghosts, a couple teachers (I was afraid to go with only one with the hope that at least one will be considered integral to the story), and a road trip.
GIJ316
_B_ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _B_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 8:39am
1,748 words. 

Its far too drafty for the day before submission and its incredibly derivative. 

But I think it might count as *actual* comedy!!!

Which is something that I was 99% sure I wouldn't be able to pull off earlier in the week.

So whether its actually good or not feels much less important right now :)

(Although tomorrow I might have a little cry :P )
GinaG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GinaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 9:58am
Well, people, it's just not going to happen. I mean, it will happen, but it's just not good. Not at all.
Even if it were not so disjointed and dialogue heavy, the supposed subject is crammed on in there at the end. I can only wave my surrender flag and think of all the free time I'll have over the next two rounds. Ouch
Corrie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:10am
Originally posted by GinaG GinaG wrote:

Well, people, it's just not going to happen. I mean, it will happen, but it's just not good. Not at all.
Even if it were not so disjointed and dialogue heavy, the supposed subject is crammed on in there at the end. I can only wave my surrender flag and think of all the free time I'll have over the next two rounds. Ouch

Ha! I feel the same way about my story. But as I said elsewhere, when I finish this story, it will be a big win for me, even if it is crappy. Because I tend to bail on the tough ideas, as a rule...and this comp forced me to stick with something that I ordinarily would have given up on ages ago; pushing through the worst resistance ever and getting something done will feel amazing - a great experience, in and of itself.

But who knows? We could both go to sleep tonight and dream up a way to beat our stories into submission, and turn in amazing, winning pieces tomorrow. There's still time! :)
Giant Tourtiere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giant Tourtiere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:16am
How many advance from each heat, do we know?

I ask wondering exactly how unlikely it is that I will survive getting 'Romance' in round one.
Corrie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Giant Tourtiere Giant Tourtiere wrote:

How many advance from each heat, do we know?

I ask wondering exactly how unlikely it is that I will survive getting 'Romance' in round one.

Top 5 from each heat move on.

patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:37am

Don't be nervous about submitting.  If you find something to fix, you can always resubmit and send a new email.  They only look at the latest ones!  I've done that twice now myself in these contests. 

To submit your story go to the assignment page and follow the link for your group.  Make sure you get your story file name as they request with your group number then an _ then your title before you upload.  Follow the instructions, and then go and email it to them following the instruction you get after you submit. 

hughsviewsandnews View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughsviewsandnews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

@hughsviewsandnews

When I checked that site, I clicked "exit this survey" and it came up with a place to upload my file. Presumably the same thing happens when you click "done" and then you upload your file on the next page. On the initial email they sent out, it said you can also email them your story as a backup after you've done the upload bit just in case something goes wrong. Hopefully that will calm the panic nerves... 

LOL Confused Ouch Dead
Thanks so much, Pikphoto.  

You know I did think that after I clicked the "done" button that another page would open where the story can be uploaded.  I guess it won't be long before people start submitting their stories, so I was hoping somebody who has done it, could confirm the process.

I've just read the the email, again, I got from them entitled "1st round assignments", and it says this

When you are ready to upload your story, follow the upload links on your heat pages.  You will be asked to fill out information about your story and given instructions on how to upload and e-mail your story.  Please only e-mail us your story AFTER you have uploaded your file, as e-mailed stories are only used as backups.

Phew!  Yes, I'm panicking, so I'm going to give myself plenty of time to upload and email my story tomorrow Smile
Hugh Roberts

http://hughsviewsandnews.com/2015/01/30/needles-1st-round-entry-nyc-midnight-short-story-challenge/
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:45pm
Ugh. I'm so iffy about my story. Plus, it's 200 words over the limit and I can't figure how to chop it down...I mean, I will figure it out, but ACK! So frustrating and stressful. Angry

I'm so over this right now. 

Why do I put myself through this agony? WHY????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>
  Share Topic