NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Screenplay Beta Spreadsheet!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUsualSuspect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:57pm
How new is this because I've done a few of these contests and never saw this before. 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by TheUsualSuspect TheUsualSuspect wrote:

How new is this because I've done a few of these contests and never saw this before. 

Just about every NYCM has one.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:02pm
We've been doing them (by "we" I mean "other people with time and love") for a while. It's another crowd-sourced solution that answers some of the weaknesses of contests and helpful support.

TYPICALLY they get posted in the main forums like this. You don't have to participate, but if you do, it's a great addition!
SSP2019 C2 G20 | Troubled Waters
FFC2019 C3 G01 | Moonstone Madness
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:52pm
Had to close down for beta reading, but everyone who contacted me is still in the queue. If I haven't yet seen your script, still send it please. I just had to shut the door on any new arrivals. And thanks greatly in advance to my team of betas. I'm getting back some remarkable comments and ideas for improvement. All of you are just the best!!
Big smile
Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:30pm
I'm so new to this style of writing that I question my ability to critique others' work, which means I hesitate to add myself to the beta list (even though I loved doing beta for others in flash and micro) and feel weird emailing strangers out of the blue when I'm not sure I have the skills to return the favor. 

Is anyone else experiencing a similar self-doubt?
Am I overthinking this (yet again)?
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Charlie272 Charlie272 wrote:

I'm so new to this style of writing that I question my ability to critique others' work, which means I hesitate to add myself to the beta list (even though I loved doing beta for others in flash and micro) and feel weird emailing strangers out of the blue when I'm not sure I have the skills to return the favor. 

You could always make a note that you're reading for the storytelling, moreso than the screenplay format!
Short Screen R1G1 Eat Dessert First (Ghost Story)
Micro Fiction R2G3 +256 Meters (Sci-Fi)
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

You could always make a note that you're reading for the storytelling, moreso than the screenplay format!

Quit bein' so helpful!
You feeling better?
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:47pm

I don't know if you're overthinking it, but there's also the point of view that dictates, you won't know if you're any good at it until you try. Followed by the thought that, the more you do it, the better you become. I could have phrased those way better, but my brain hurts from editing and rewriting, thanks to all the helpful notes from my beta readers... who all got their starts beta reading somewhere, you know.
Smile
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:53pm

Quit bein' so helpful!
You feeling better?

Haha! And yes, a little bit. On page 3 now, so that's something. Slept off and on til 1pm, which was great but now I'm feeling rushed!
Short Screen R1G1 Eat Dessert First (Ghost Story)
Micro Fiction R2G3 +256 Meters (Sci-Fi)
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

who all got their starts beta reading somewhere, you know.
Smile

Beta Reading University, I assume.
Didn't everyone except me get some fancy training or something?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic