NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting Clarification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting Clarification
    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:35pm
Ok, I'm having one of those super-fun moments where I'm second guessing every idea that comes through my brain. Ugh. 

So, my assigned setting is Switchboard Room...while it certainly might mean a variety of things, it most commonly means a telephone switchboard, right? Like you'd find in old hotels with operators and such, yes? 

I just had a flash of panic and wondered if it means something else entirely, and/or I'm losing my mind....LOL

kenshomo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
Heat Mate! 

I'd love to see what some of the addicts around here have to say... but I have the same prompt, and when I first Googled "switchboard room" it led me to more contemporary electrical switchboards. Based on their email I'm assuming that anything in the zone - old fashioned, modern, what have you - would be OK. I'm going with something more modern that I trust bears sufficient resemblance to its forebears. 

But yes, I do think their intent was probably that old fashioned switchboard you see in shows like "Mad Men."

Their email said: "Feel free to interpret your genre, location, and object assignment in uniquely creative ways...we're looking for interesting and inventive stories. But also know that we won't be able to accept submissions that are completely off the assignments you are given."

Keep writing!

OK, that was for me... now for you also... Keep writing!  

Edited by kenshomo - 17 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by kenshomo kenshomo wrote:

Heat Mate! 

I'd love to see what some of the addicts around here have to say... but I have the same prompt, and when I first Googled "switchboard room" it led me to more contemporary electrical switchboards. Based on their email I'm assuming that anything in the zone - old fashioned, modern, what have you - would be OK. I'm going with something more modern that I trust bears sufficient resemblance to its forebears. 

Their email said: "Feel free to interpret your genre, location, and object assignment in uniquely creative ways...we're looking for interesting and inventive stories. But also know that we won't be able to accept submissions that are completely off the assignments you are given."

Keep writing!

OK, that was for me... now for you also... Keep writing!  

Yes! I, too, saw that there are all sorts of electrical switchboards for servers and such, but, for the life of me, I cannot make myself consider anything other than an old-fashioned switchboard with a row of operators connecting calls....sooooooo, I guess that's the vague direction I'm headed! Ha! 

On an unrelated note, spy is one of my nightmare genres, so that makes this all SUCH FUN! Unhappy

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your story! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic