NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Script to Screen!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dialitbackfilms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Script to Screen!
    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 10:42pm
Two or three years ago when I entered the short screenplay contest I made it through the first three rounds.  I like this competition, not with the idea that I'm going to "win" anything, but the guided prompts forcing me to write something I ordinarily wouldn't write.  And all the scripts I've written for this contest (save one - not interested in fairy tale movies) are definitely something I want to film.

I just finished editing and color grading my latest, which was a "horror - breakroom - tv antenna" prompt.  It was limited to 5 pages, but after the contest I added a bit and the final movie is 12 minutes.

Here is the trailer!

And if anyone out there wants to turn their scripts into a short film, please do contact me!  I'll tell you how.
https://dialitbackfilms.com
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 2:32pm
Congrats! Love the creepiness of the jack-in-the-box. Enticing prompts to play with. Can't wait to see the final.

Hope you're in the script competition coming up. Sometimes the best ideas pop out when we're thrown into the deep end. Smile

dialitbackfilms View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dialitbackfilms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 5:21pm
I'm taking this next competition off.  Finishing up this film for its October premiere and writing a few things for other people at the moment.

And thanks for the comments!  Yes, the jack-in-the-box was an inspiration.  I had the bad guy singing "Come out come out" to the tune of Pop goes the weasel in the very original script I submitted here.  So when I expanded it, I thought we should use that motif all throughout.  I added a confrontation scene before he is fired where he tells her, "We're not one of your little wind up toys."

Her office is decorated with them, which is creepy enough for sure!

And at the very end I added a line for her, "I'm so wound up I'm about to pop!" after a harrowing scene on the roof.

It really added a layer of complexity as to "who triggered whom?"  which I liked.
https://dialitbackfilms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply