NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Script Reading: Entering the profession

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Script Reading: Entering the profession
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:16pm
Hey there!

So I am very new to the script writing/reading world. In fact this competition was my first experience of it. I enrolled in a course on script writing last year but the first day of the course started after the first entry of the short screenplay competition. So when I made it to the semi-finals and ended with an honourable mention, I was undeniably wrapped. The vague idea of taking the step to try and enter script writing professionally was confirmed as a definite option for me.

However, I live in Malta, which doesn't really have much in the way of job opportunities for screenplay, and have a mental disability (catatonia) that makes moving to America/L.A. not particularly viable. I was hoping to attend a conference in London later this year in October, but at this point with everything going on in the world I'm not sure if it'll be going ahead.

So excluding the possibility of travel for the time being, how could someone new to screen-writing work at getting into the industry? I'm specifically focusing on a career in script-reading, preferably for a producer or agency as while script-writing would be The Dream, a job of reading or editing would be equally amazing and will vastly improve my skills overall. My disability makes working regular work hours nearly impossible, but I can meet deadlines no problem - I've completed to Masters degrees in the time I've had my disability and thanks to recorded lectures and a LOT of extra-readings I'm doing quite well in my current course. To my understanding, script-reading is definitely a deadline based job whereas script-writing - especially for tv shows - is more of a work with others job in specific hours, which, as said is the dream, my irksome disability may make that a tad prohibitive.

Anyway, asking for all help and suggestions as I'm still new to this as a career possibility.
Thank you for your time!
TomDonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 6:34am
Above all, don't give up. To expand knowledge in the profession, you can read lectures by Tarkovsky. It will be useful. In general, such a job is difficult to find, I myself have problems with this.
Uista View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 3:09pm

Interesting advice, but there are alternatives. In addition to reading smart thoughts in books, you need to try to find real friends in this area. Try to attend themed events. If you need help writing text, you can use the help. These guys https://www.bestessay.com/essay/ write my paper for me. They are very educated authors. This helped me write a script for a small cartoon. The main strong desire and action. Everything will be fine!

Edited by Uista - 13 Apr 2020 at 5:44am
Asmith View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:36pm
I'll definitely read through those lectures. Also I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to practice further during this next competition reading through other people's scripts and offering feedback.

As for finding friends and networking, I had planned to try and attend a couple of conferences this year but I think they are all either shut down or on hiatus for the forseeable future.
 Post Reply Post Reply