NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenwriting Software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: What software did you use to write your screenplay?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [38.46%]
1 [1.92%]
4 [7.69%]
6 [11.54%]
5 [9.62%]
10 [19.23%]
5 [9.62%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:22am
I’ve only ever known Final Draft since winning it elsewhere and it’s never given me a second of pause to think ‘should I try something else’.

But if it lacks a gizmo that one of the others has, let me know!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
cottage14 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottage14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:37am
My main problem with Final Draft is that it frequently crashes. I have set my autosave to a five-minute interval, so generally I do not lose too much work. The problem gets more severe with longer documents -- I regularly work with scripts for audio projects that can run several hundred pages, and Final Draft gets very fragile with large scripts like that.
Andrew Wetmore
2018 Round 1 screenplay Iron Al
2018 Round 2 screenplay I Have Dared
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:08pm
I'm fascinated to see what people use. I haven't seen a One Right Thing, but tools that people use for their own needs and wants.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

cyberk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I'm fascinated to see what people use. I haven't seen a One Right Thing, but tools that people use for their own needs and wants.

Agreed. And I think while there isn't One Right Thing, there are enough good options out there that if something is bugging you about what you're currently using it's worth trying others. It's a robust enough category that you shouldn't suffer through annoyances.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:20pm
I am a little surprised nobody uses a Royal.  Come on, was a better machine ever made?  The IBM Selectric never seemed to work right when the power was off, and after learning to hammer the keys on a Royal it seemed a little flimsy.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by cottage14 cottage14 wrote:

My main problem with Final Draft is that it frequently crashes. I have set my autosave to a five-minute interval, so generally I do not lose too much work. The problem gets more severe with longer documents -- I regularly work with scripts for audio projects that can run several hundred pages, and Final Draft gets very fragile with large scripts like that.

I also have my auto save set for very short times as I have lost good work while writing on a desk top and having power outages - it just something that I always do now, even though I have my laptop.  15 min is just too much to lose.
erikric View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erikric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:25am
I own both Final Draft and Fade In, but ever since I got Fade In I've only used that.

I like the cleaner and simpler interface (and the price).
rcassvan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rcassvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:06pm
I became increasingly frustrated with Final Draft while writing my round 1 script and after almost 9 years of using it, I decided to look elsewhere.

I came across Highland 2, which was developed by John August (Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and his company. It was just released about a month ago. The second I started using it, I absolutely fell in love with it. It's extremely intuitive, to the point where you can just start writing and it correctly formats everything for you. It also has some really awesome features for writers. If you are looking for something new to write with, I highly recommend checking this software out. You can use a free version of it for screenplays, but the exported pdf will contain a watermark. If you upgrade to the full version ($50), it also unlocks the templates for teleplays, novels, graphic novels, stage plays and a bunch of other formats.

I've taken it out for some test drives, but plan to start officially using it when round 2 starts tomorrow.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 8:05am
I have discovered really stupid failing in the Final Draft program.

Imagine, if you can, you are working on a project and letting it save every few min to where you want the main file saved, then you want to save it outside the comp so you hit "save as" and direct it to where you want it saved.

From that point on you are no longer in the same document, you are in the document where you just "saved as" and it will begin saving automatically into that file and ignore your main file.  I am left wondering what draft I sent into be judged in this last comp. This has got to be the stupidest thing I have heard of.

Edited by Suave - 27 Jun 2018 at 8:07am
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I have discovered really stupid failing in the Final Draft program.

Imagine, if you can, you are working on a project and letting it save every few min to where you want the main file saved, then you want to save it outside the comp so you hit "save as" and direct it to where you want it saved.

From that point on you are no longer in the same document, you are in the document where you just "saved as" and it will begin saving automatically into that file and ignore your main file.  I am left wondering what draft I sent into be judged in this last comp. This has got to be the stupidest thing I have heard of.

This is stress-nightmare material holy crap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>