NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenwriting Course Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screenwriting Course Recommendations
    Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:30am
Hi all,

I’m really interested to know if anyone can recommend a good online Screenwriting course? 

I really want to keep improving as a writer and have found the competition a huge help towards getting better. If anyone can recommend courses they have found useful I’d be eternally grateful. 

Thanks 
Graham Brand View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Brand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:59am
I'm enjoying working my way through the online courses by Industrial Scripts.

I purchased Ultimate Screenwriting for Film and Effective Script Reading. They cover much of the same ground but from different perspectives, so you may only need the former.

(When I signed up for Effective Script Reading they offered me a sizeable discount on Ultimate Screenwriting which I couldn't resist. Smile )
SC 2023 R2 Faster, Stronger, Dead
SC 2023 R1 Hell Bent
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 2:27pm
Sundance Collab is awesome. 
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
jacksilver View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:24pm
It's tailored to sitcoms, but this is excellent.

If you're interested in writing TV procedurals (police, lawyer etc) it's very worth watching too as a lot of the same principals apply.

And lots of it v useful for features too.

montmorency View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montmorency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 7:34pm
Check out ScreenwritingU. They have a bunch of different courses of different lengths (and prices) on different topics. I've taken a few and what I really like about it is that you have a short lesson on one skill or technique and then you do an assignment so you immediately put that skill into practice. 

I recommend taking one of the shorter, cheaper classes first to see if you like it and if you do then you'll feel more confident about taking a longer one. And get on the email list because they always have good deals!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 6:29am
Also here's a free one - listen to the Scriptnotes podcast (they also have a premium membership at $5 US /month or so). I swear, it's excellent. 

https://johnaugust.com/scriptnotes

From the site: "Each week, screenwriters John August and Craig Mazin discuss screenwriting and things that are interesting to screenwriters, everything from the craft to the business to the best ways to get yourself writing."

John August wrote Arlo Finch and Go, and Craig Mazin wrote Chernobyl and some others. Both are very involved with the WGA and know everyone. 

Edited by BarbaraFL - 20 Nov 2021 at 6:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply