NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenwriting contest - who's in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screenwriting contest - who's in?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:39am

Well, I will be there. Only a week off - the 24th! So looking forward to it.
I love the long writing time, not so crazy about the diminishing times as a writer progresses.
Still love it - anything but SPY!

Edited by Suave - 16 Mar 2023 at 3:40am
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:08am
So psyched for it! This is tied with flash for my favorite. 

I so hope you don't get spy, Suave.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:43am
Thank you Barb!
winternovella View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote winternovella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:25pm
I'm in but I'm new to screenplays! I hope it won't be too difficult to venture into. 
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:55pm
I’ve never written a screenplay but maybe. I’ve been thinking about it and would like to attempt one in 2023!
** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:33pm
This is also my first go at Screenplay! So I feel like I'm brand new to NYCM all over again LOL
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:15pm
Hell yeah.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:46pm

For those of you telling us this will be your first try at screenwriting, it is time to start Googling.
Google "Screenwriing Super" to start, then "Montage" really comes in handy to know them. The second thing to remember is that there are a lot of people that think their way is the only way to do stuff in a screenplay, and they are wrong, lol. So, don't just read one article and think that is it, read a bunch and you will get a better idea.

Have fun with it! On my first one here on NYCM I ended up having three or four
screenplays from other years in the contest open trying to figure out how to do 
stuff (which meant scanning through screenplay after screenplay until I found the
formatting I needed) as my Googling beforehand was not as thorough as I had hoped....
Was lots of fun and I was hooked.

Edited by Suave - 16 Mar 2023 at 8:54pm
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

For those of you telling us this will be your first try at screenwriting, it is time to start Googling.
Google "Screenwriting Super" to start, then "Montage" really comes in handy to know them.

Thanks for the tips, Suave. I’ve had no practice with formatting a screenplay and that’s one of the reasons that I’ve hesitated to do it. But I think writing a longer screenplay might be easier than tackling the shorter one in the fall, which is why I’m thinking about signing up now. 
** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Jennk Jennk wrote:

[. I’ve had no practice with formatting a screenplay and that’s one of the reasons that I’ve hesitated to do it. But I think writing a longer screenplay might be easier than tackling the shorter one in the fall, which is why I’m thinking about signing up now. 

The screenplay writing software does most of the heavy lifting on formatting. I use Trelby which is free. It's pretty good. Good luck -- I know you will have a lot of fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>