NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November Screenwriting Battle has started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

I just signed up, too! Sounds fun!

Awesome! Good luck in November :)
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

Signed up, the rules hurt my tiny brain but I think i've got it now - looks like fun anyway!

Hahaha I am the world's worst person at explaining things. I should really hire someone to re-write the rules page haha. I promise the contest is easy to understand once you're participating. If you have any specific questions, please email me at admin@screenwritingbattle.com -- my name is Max.

Glad to have you in the November battle! It'll be fun. I promise :)
Don't worry it's not you, it's me. I'm tired and it doesn't take much to confuse me at the best of times!

I think I have it now anyway - if I understand it right, you get put in an initial pool of six and you are pitted against each one in turn for a total score, then the winners of each pool face off until a final winner emerges?

Is that about right? 
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm

Signed up, the rules hurt my tiny brain but I think i've got it now - looks like fun anyway!

Hahaha I am the world's worst person at explaining things. I should really hire someone to re-write the rules page haha. I promise the contest is easy to understand once you're participating. If you have any specific questions, please email me at admin@screenwritingbattle.com -- my name is Max.

Don't worry it's not you, it's me. I'm tired and it doesn't take much to confuse me at the best of times!

I think I have it now anyway - if I understand it right, you get put in an initial pool of six and you are pitted against each one in turn for a total score, then the winners of each pool face off until a final winner emerges?

Is that about right? 

That's exactly right, except there isn't a single final winner that emerges. There are four winners -- one for each genre. So your script will only ever be competing with scripts of the same genre.

Also, you will only ever be judging scripts that are not in your own script's genre, to make sure people are being fair.

You got it though! Even in your tired state. Smile
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:33pm

Is that about right? 

That's exactly right, except there isn't a single final winner that emerges. There are four winners -- one for each genre. So your script will only ever be competing with scripts of the same genre.

Also, you will only ever be judging scripts that are not in your own script's genre, to make sure people are being fair.

You got it though! Even in your tired state. Smile
Thank you! Looking forward to it, this year has been the year of trying competitions for the first time, which has turned it into the year of actually sitting down and writing stuff, and I'm loving it!

Edited by swilki - 06 Oct 2021 at 6:34pm
Rachel M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:51pm
Just signed up!! Excited to finally partake :)
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:59pm
I signed up, will decide about participating soon. Looks like a lot of fun and a great opportunity to learn.
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:12pm
@Rachel M - Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Big fan of your writing.
@Mrsnetpro - Sounds good :) Hope to see you in the November battle.
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:58pm
Maybe next year when I learn how to format these things properly. Otherwise it's an exercise in futility at this point. 
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Mrsnetpro Mrsnetpro wrote:

Maybe next year when I learn how to format these things properly. Otherwise it's an exercise in futility at this point. 

Fair enough! It can take a bit to learn the formatting -- unlike prose where there is a lot more freedom.

If you have any specific questions about screenwriting, feel free to DM me and I will try to answer them :)
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Mrsnetpro Mrsnetpro wrote:

I signed up, will decide about participating soon. Looks like a lot of fun and a great opportunity to learn.

I'm in the same boat. I only tried my first screenplay this summer. Every script I enter has at least one mistake. 
BUT my first one had about 30. LOL (at least 30?)

It seems to be a better way to get someone to see what I see in my head. Only thing that sucks is that there are page limits so I can't always get my vision out in competitions. Same problem for writing prose though, 5 page limit, 250 words etc.

One of the best things about learning how to write a script is that your "novel" is done in 90-120 pages instead of thousands of pages. Woot!

So you really should participate because your stories deserve it. 
I have not been paid or otherwise compensated for this endorsement..Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>