NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenplay Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:32pm
I'm in.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:03am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

I want to try it, but I have no idea how to write a screenplay.  I'd have to do some research and practice between now and then.  

Oh, Come on, Top Cat ... Ask Mr Google!  "How to write a screenplay"  I'm not kidding.  I can give you some simple rules  ... just enter NOW ... isn't the deadline tomorrow?

1.  Make sure you get the format right ... look at some examples of other screenplays here

2.  Go to The Internet Movie Script Database ... www.imsdb.com ... download and read a couple of screenplays on your computer for movies you've seen ... learn by osmosis

3.  Make your dialogue believable ... the way people talk ... not grammatically correct.  Read it out loud.

4.  No exposition ... only write what the audience can see or hear ... including in action print.

5.  Don't write camera directions or build big sets ... let the director and producer do their jobs.

6.  Keep it simple.  Start a scene with the Heading ... INT or EXT, where, time of day   ... then the first line of action ... The Slug Line" ... sets the scene.  Action should be sparse ... dialogue should be short and sweet ... in other words, be economical and effective

7.  Just write down the movie playing in your head!   You're using the same writing muscles, just different format ...

I'm happy to be a beta reader and a bit of a coach, especially if I'm not in your group ... send me a private message.  You're welcome to read any of my old screenplays here ... there are a few scattered around ... or I can email some ... and you can ask me anything you want. 

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:08am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

I think I'll be in...

I guess we're putting the old band back together again ... Darren, Blackgate, Stef ... Though the comps are getting so crowded, I can't seem to get out of the gate ... beyond round one ... but I wouldn't miss it for quids ...

BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

I think I'll be in...

I guess we're putting the old band back together again ... Darren, Blackgate, Stef ... Though the comps are getting so crowded, I can't seem to get out of the gate ... beyond round one ... but I wouldn't miss it for quids ...

Let the fun commence! Good tips for new screenwriters above by the way Scarlet.
ykchris View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ykchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:24pm
I just registered for the upcoming screenplay contest.

Quick question: are the screenplays for the past contests (esp. the winning ones) all available to read somewhere?

thanks!
DunnEllis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunnEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:50am
You should be able to find some in the in 2015 review forum at the top of the page. 
StephwithanF View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephwithanF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 12:24pm
They actually posted the winning screenplays from last year.  

http://nycmidnight.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=075fdfe03c8d1b8262cc91a99&id=00f3ce7dc6&e=94bf47d6a6

If that didn't work, check your email.  I just read all of his entries today.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:11am
I loved his last entry! :P
Flash Fiction 2020 C1 G76 Liquid Courage (Fantasy)
Mocambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mocambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 1:10am
First screenplay challenge, and I'm very excited. How many have you all done before this one?

-Tams
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:42am
Originally posted by ykchris ykchris wrote:

Quick question: are the screenplays for the past contests (esp. the winning ones) all available to read somewhere?

If you go to the GENERAL DISCUSSION page ... Review Archive ... all of the entries for years are linked there ...

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 27 Apr 2016 at 7:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic