NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenplay Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 6:28pm
I think that is a good process.  You start by sprawling, then cutting, condensing, then adding more, condensing again - shrinking and enriching until you have a script that is far shorter than the original but packed with ideas and images etc.  Like condensing a sauce really!  
Ch2; GR 105, Fairy Tale PRINCESS FOR A DAY;
Ch1; GR 105, Suspense RATS ON THE RAILS

Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:17pm

TO THE JUDGES! 

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 08 May 2016 at 7:21pm
KittNiss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KittNiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:39pm
Hi there fellow writers, Aussies & newbies like me, and the rest. 

Have to say I love hearing how everyone tackled this challenge. My first screenplay too. Very different from the short story challenge (my first one of those too). I seemed to work in reverse as it started small and then grew.

I used Celtx for the formatting. I had a few ideas in the first 2 days but settled on one which grew in my mind so that's the one I wrote. Started with the script at 6 pages. One of my main concerns was I wouldn't get something under 12 pages. I was lucky to have a friend who makes short animated films read it through and give me critique. I then realised I had time and room to clear some confusing aspects, so I rewrote. Another writer from the Short story comp was brilliant and offered suggestions and corrections. Eventually the screenplay sent in came to 12 pages. 

Have to say the whole experience was really satisfying and fun. I've now taken to reading screenplays and having a play around with the whole idea of them. I've given myself a challenge of adapting a friends (published) novel into a film. 

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's work. Congratulations to everyone just for taking the plunge!!
SSC R1Heat42 Magpie's Child
FFCh1 Gr16 There's no going back R2 Death,DutyFree
jagatfx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagatfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:57am
Originally posted by KittNiss KittNiss wrote:

Hi there fellow writers, Aussies & newbies like me, and the rest. 

Have to say I love hearing how everyone tackled this challenge. My first screenplay too. Very different from the short story challenge (my first one of those too). I seemed to work in reverse as it started small and then grew.

I used Celtx for the formatting. I had a few ideas in the first 2 days but settled on one which grew in my mind so that's the one I wrote. Started with the script at 6 pages. One of my main concerns was I wouldn't get something under 12 pages. I was lucky to have a friend who makes short animated films read it through and give me critique. I then realised I had time and room to clear some confusing aspects, so I rewrote. Another writer from the Short story comp was brilliant and offered suggestions and corrections. Eventually the screenplay sent in came to 12 pages. 

Have to say the whole experience was really satisfying and fun. I've now taken to reading screenplays and having a play around with the whole idea of them. I've given myself a challenge of adapting a friends (published) novel into a film. 

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's work. Congratulations to everyone just for taking the plunge!!

Well said, KittNiss. Good luck with your adaptation! 
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 3:10am
Originally posted by KittNiss KittNiss wrote:

One of my main concerns was I wouldn't get something under 12 pages. I was lucky to have a friend who makes short animated films read it through and give me critique. I then realised I had time and room to clear some confusing aspects, so I rewrote. Another writer from the Short story comp was brilliant and offered suggestions and corrections. Eventually the screenplay sent in came to 12 pages.

Kitty ... If you use FINAL DRAFT, it actually allows you to minutely tighten the kerning between each character and can eliminate or add up to 10% ... it's mainly for feature writers who want to hit the magic 105pp, but comes in handy for shorts, as well ...

FlickerFusion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlickerFusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:34pm
Same heat.  I thought it was a rough one too.  Best of luck!!!
FlickerFusion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlickerFusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by paulene.turner paulene.turner wrote:

In.  Just made it.  That was tough.  I had Drama, Falling Out of Love, A wrongly convicted inmate.  From the looks of it, many of you had much harder prompts.  But this one was tough enough.  Off for a nice long walk now.  It's lunch time here in Sydney, Australia.  Good luck to you all!

Same heat, I barely made it.  Was a tough one for me.
Migilla View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Migilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Evrim Evrim wrote:

Originally posted by Migilla Migilla wrote:

First time screenplay, longtime short story participant. 
Looking forward to the challenge:
Group 26.
Genre= Romance.
Subject=An apology.
Character=A factory worker.
Any other 26ers out there?

Hey there! I'm another Heat 26 participant! How are you going with it? I am not entirely sure mine makes a lot of sense, but I've had a lot of fun writing it Star *Sorry I copied my post twice.

I had fun too. I'm happy with it, when we get the notices that the stories were received, we can post them for review. Hope to see yours up.
Link to my round 2018 SS 1st round Group 80 FF.
http://bit.ly/2nK8PR8
bex_writes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex_writes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 6:41pm
I have a question. I've reread my submission and found a few typos. I know the writing is on the wall (so to speak) in regards to the competition/judges but should I fix the typos before we post in the forum for our fellow writer's to read?  Or should I leave them so everyone can feel better about their chances? Wink I'd really like feedback to be focused on the story and composition rather than something that good typing class (or thinner fingers) may have prevented. 

I've enjoyed my first experience with NYC Midnight so far. Excited to see what happens next.

Thx.
paulene.turner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by FlickerFusion FlickerFusion wrote:

Originally posted by paulene.turner paulene.turner wrote:

In.  Just made it.  That was tough.  I had Drama, Falling Out of Love, A wrongly convicted inmate.  From the looks of it, many of you had much harder prompts.  But this one was tough enough.  Off for a nice long walk now.  It's lunch time here in Sydney, Australia.  Good luck to you all!

Same heat, I barely made it.  Was a tough one for me.

I found the two ideas to be so big on their own that they were difficult to combine in 12 mins without excessive plot points.  What is your logline?
Ch2; GR 105, Fairy Tale PRINCESS FOR A DAY;
Ch1; GR 105, Suspense RATS ON THE RAILS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic