NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenplay Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 3:13am
Well done Reez, working up to the wire!  
Ch2; GR 105, Fairy Tale PRINCESS FOR A DAY;
Ch1; GR 105, Suspense RATS ON THE RAILS

thunderlark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 5:42am
Ahoy from Ireland! Sick for the first few days of the competition then worked 10 1/2 hour days the rest of the days. I thought up and typed up the script in 6 hours. No prep.

Enjoyed the sh*t out of it. 

I had entered the last short story competition and got Spy as a genre. Spelling and grammar was all over the place. I wrote that in 6 hours too, albeit with a bit of prep. Didn't progress but enjoyed it.

This time around I had Grammarly on Chrome to spellcheck as I went and for some reason it stopped working (or my noggin did) the last 20 minutes resulting in the last page having SERIOUS spelling errors and even the word 'then' spelled 'teh' 
Screw it, it was 5am Irish time and I had a f**king blast doing it. I loves me some pressure! Best of luck to everybody from Ireland..

I am in Heat:

Spy

Sleep deprivation

A nightclub bouncer

Keep going, sure it's Grand!
paulene.turner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 6:42am
It sounds like you were experiencing Sleep deprivation first-hand, Irish!  Yes, it has been a blast.  And you did a great effort in something together in such a short time - spelling checked or not.  Well done. They sound like interesting prompts - Spy!  A great challenge.  Hope we get to read your story!
Cheers.
Ch2; GR 105, Fairy Tale PRINCESS FOR A DAY;
Ch1; GR 105, Suspense RATS ON THE RAILS

thunderlark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:09am
haha! Jesus, you're f**kin' right actually. I bloody was experiencing sleep deprivation!

Life imitating Art wha'!

My style of writing is not for everyone, I like what I write and how but I would be hesitant to load up something for people to read lest it knock my confidence if they don't get it!

I will think about it though. (I am totally going to share it, ignore me)

Thanks for the well wishes Pauline!! Same to you :)
Keep going, sure it's Grand!
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 8:30am
Originally posted by StephwithanF StephwithanF wrote:

Originally posted by Leo85 Leo85 wrote:

Hey everyone! This is my first time ever writing a screenplay, and I'm about to embark on it using the Scripped software. Has anyone used that? Is there something free that's better for first-time script writers? (I've done the flash challenge and am currently in the finals of the short story writing challenge, yet I find myself not knowing how to even approach a screenplay...but I'm super excited to learn!)

Scripped lost all of my screenplays when it went down without warning.  Its Writer Duet now? but I wouldn't trust that with a ten foot pole (after being a huge supporter of it).

Someone already mentioned celtx which personally I haven't used but I hear good things.
https://www.celtx.com/

Amazon has foray-ed into screenwriting software also,
https://storywriter.amazon.com
Its very very basic, but for all intents and purposes for this contest it is fine.

And as an american reading australian/european screenplays, things that may be common words for you mean different things for us.
For example, when you say torch, I think an open flame (like the Olympic torch) when you mean (what we call) a "flashlight."  
There was one year someone wrote "candy floss" which I figured out was cotton candy, but one judge could not figure it out.
Unfortunately its always up to how the judge interprets.

Thanks so much for the Amazon tip! I think for first-timers who are worried about formatting it's perfect. Though basic, it does everything for you. I was so happy to just be able to write. Plus, I didn't know Amazon provides it for scripted material submissions. Very cool if anyone has a 30-60 minute idea they'd like to pitch to a fledgling production house!
Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by paulene.turner paulene.turner wrote:

Well done Reez, working up to the wire!  

Thanks Pauline, looking forward to having a read of yours when we get to post.
Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by thunderlark thunderlark wrote:

haha! Jesus, you're f**kin' right actually. I bloody was experiencing sleep deprivation!

Life imitating Art wha'!

My style of writing is not for everyone, I like what I write and how but I would be hesitant to load up something for people to read lest it knock my confidence if they don't get it!

I will think about it though. (I am totally going to share it, ignore me)

Thanks for the well wishes Pauline!! Same to you :)

Hey Thunderlark,

welcome aboard from another Dub!
GrowlingWhispers View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrowlingWhispers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 1:14pm
Heat 31: Romance / Loneliness / A Nanny

Does/did this happen to anyone else?

I started writing right away, but two days into it I realized that there was no way I was going to get in under 12 pages.  Kept writing, then having to go through and find things to cut.  I ended up cutting eight pages, only to write three more and have to make more cuts.

I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out, but even after having a friend proofread it, I'm worried that I will go back and discover a reference to a character that no longer exists, or a line of dialogue that now has no context and makes zero sense.

Edited by GrowlingWhispers - 08 May 2016 at 1:15pm
bex_writes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex_writes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by GrowlingWhispers GrowlingWhispers wrote:

Heat 31: Romance / Loneliness / A Nanny

Does/did this happen to anyone else?

I started writing right away, but two days into it I realized that there was no way I was going to get in under 12 pages.  Kept writing, then having to go through and find things to cut.  I ended up cutting eight pages, only to write three more and have to make more cuts.

I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out, but even after having a friend proofread it, I'm worried that I will go back and discover a reference to a character that no longer exists, or a line of dialogue that now has no context and makes zero sense.

I let myself go to 14 pages...figured that wouldn't be hard to cut. Every time I got it back down to 12, I'd think of a funny line (I was Heat 8: comedy/best friends/temporary employee) or a twist...I jumped up and down in page numbers for the last 2 days of writing. 

Edited by bex_writes - 08 May 2016 at 6:25pm
bex_writes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex_writes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 6:22pm
Sleepy

Edited by bex_writes - 08 May 2016 at 6:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic