NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenplay Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbbawithanI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screenplay Challenge
    Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:25pm
Hey all! Just saw they put up the call for the longer-form Screenwriting Challenge. Anybody here planning on doing that one?
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 4:25am
I want to try it, but I have no idea how to write a screenplay.  I'd have to do some research and practice between now and then.  
Kellie214 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellie214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 11:25am
Since I missed the short screenplay, I'll be doing this contest.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6qM5jsTUqPVHFYWnFMLWxkRms/view?usp=sharing
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:52am
I think I'll be in...
DunnEllis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunnEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 10:09am
I'm in. Looking forward to the challenge. 
StephwithanF View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephwithanF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:24am
I signed up.  It gets me out of my box and writing.

KittNiss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KittNiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 5:32am
I'm in, but I will have to learn as I go. A couple of weeks of research at least. I had such a good time with the short story comp & very proud to have received an honorable mention with my first effort. 

Very bad at sharing things though - not being precious, just inept.

Screenplay writing is a different thing altogether. Good luck fellow writers :) 
Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:28am
I'm in and looking forward to it!

For anyone crossing over from short story for the first time, couple of things to consider:

1. Format, it's a bigger deal this side and can affect the score. Check out some of the past entries here. Some have it down to perfection. There are lots of formatting programmes out there, from professional ones like final draft to freebies, or you can apply margins and tabs to word, just check them before submission. Mine have blown and created craters with words strewn across pages!

2. The old adage: show don't tell. This got me in reverse on the short story side. For me the difference could be how to explain what you see to someone with their eyes closed, and try doing this objectively. Get out of the script and let the characters speak for themselves. I let my characters speak too much for themselves in short story which, without the grounding of time and space from the slug lines left a few people scratching their heads. Funnily enough, the scriptwriters got it! Lol!

I love the immediacy of scriptwriting and how you're right in there. Oh, 3rd point - start as Late as possible! Always go into a scene at the latest possible moment - no catching a bus to the location and thinking along the way...

Great screenplays to read: Rosemary's Baby, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Chinatown, Kind Hearts and Coronets, When Harry met Sally....

I'm sure there's loads to add. Feel free to jump in.

lucent View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lucent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

I want to try it, but I have no idea how to write a screenplay.  I'd have to do some research and practice between now and then.  

tcFlash,

You don't need to practice or research before the competition. I mean, you can do that if you want, but I found that I was able to learn the basics on how to write a screenplay during the week of the first round of this particular competition last year just through googling the things I didn't know as they came up for me while writing and combing through the forum, reading Q and As and looking at others scripts to get an idea of format. Just saying, don't let your lack of knowledge now prevent you from signing up... it's better to jump in and figure it out than wait for the time to read a book about screenwriting!

Victoria Ellis Nye View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victoria Ellis Nye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 5:26pm
I stopped registration for it because it said it was giving me a ticket for the short story competition, despite having clicked the screenplay selection.

Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic