NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Say hello to my leetle genre!"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Say hello to my leetle genre!"
    Posted: 12 Jan 2008 at 3:58pm
So, this being my first submission to the NYC Short Story contest, I have a question:

Can we mix genres, such as being assigned the genre Western, but making it a comedy (think sequel to Brokeback Mountain II: One Hell Of A Hill)? Or if we're assigned action-adventure, can we set the tale in a science-fiction motif? In other words, will we be penalized if a story seems to fit as well into another genre as it does to the assigned one?

I realize some genres are more wide open than others: for example, comedy, drama and suspense may present more options for a story, as opposed to a more focused subject such as ghost story, crime caper or romance.

Just wondering,

Davout

Edited by Davout - 12 Jan 2008 at 3:59pm
ssecrest View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssecrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2008 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Davout Davout wrote:

In other words, will we be penalized if a story seems to fit as well into another genre as it does to the assigned one?

Keep in mind, this is only my first year, but I'd think that as long as your story's main focus is your assigned genre... you could bring in other elements too. Just make sure that there's no doubt in the judges' minds that your story is, for example, a western.

Like with me: I'm doing romance. I'm approaching my story with the traditional elements of a romance (namely being that the end has to be either a happily ever after, a happily ever after for now, or the promise of a happily ever after in the future). Other than that... the romance genre is *wide* open with all the other subgenres there are within the main genre.

Hope this helps!
Davout View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2008 at 6:55pm
Yeah, romance here too.

Not that I don't like romance. Heck, fifty per cent of all fiction titles sold in the States last year were romance titles... OK, maybe I do hate that category a leetle bit.

But as long as I can add in lots of seasonings, and maybe a touch of Tabasco, it should work.

Davout

Edited by Davout - 12 Jan 2008 at 6:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply