NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round of applause for the betas..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyMollyMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round of applause for the betas..
    Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 11:33pm
The betas that read my story and offered feedback were AMAZING! I cannot say what a difference that makes! I wish I had used one for round 1. 

Thank you to everyone who helped me. This forum has been such an incredible place to share my work and meet other writers. I don't expect to make it to the next round, so if any of you want me to read over your stories in rounds three and four, please feel free to contact me at simplymollymarie.flashfiction@gmail.com. 

A special thank you to Patsy, the Sarah M.'s, Sootfoot, Chris M., Brian M., Stephen M., Bea, and nmh629 for helping me so much. You guys are incredible. I won't soon forget how much you helped me develop my story for this round. You're all due for some good karma, so go buy a lotto ticket or something! :) Thank you again!
-Molly
R2 | Group 26 |
Romance/Movie Theater/Skateboard
Reel Love
Sponsored Links

eleanna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eleanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 5:31am
Good luck with the second round Molly! Got no points for my first story too but the benefits I got from this competition even from just writing two stories and getting to talk to fellow writers surpassed the disappointment. Wanted to say that for me personally, your story was one of the most memorable. Wish I had time to get someone to beta read my story too but I run out of time completing it again. Fingers crossed, hehe!

Edited by eleanna - 21 Sep 2015 at 5:45am
Group 51, Ch2, Historic fiction, Ship cargo hold, Wheelchair, The picture brides
queenb330 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenb330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:28am
A MASSIVE THANK YOU TO ALL SIX OF MY BETAS!

I will be posting more about you wonderful people in due course, via my blog.

Let's hear a "whoop, whoop" for the betas!

Heart
d3athlily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d3athlily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:31am
N'awww I feel the same way! Super happy with the feedback I got from my betas too and so grateful for them all!
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:25am
Yeah, I got great feedback and it help immeasurably to tighten the story.
Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. ~ James Baldwin

2019 SSCR1 The Cold Truth
joycarletti View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joycarletti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 12:44pm
I had a super weird weekend. My best friend went into early labor on Saturday so I had very little time to do revisions. I had two beta readers - tCflash and Reez, and I'd already sent my story out when I got the call to go. My feedback from tCflash was instrumental in tightening my synopsis. My feedback from Reez was superb in clarifying the "where" of my story. Even though I was only able to make some small tweaks (too tired!!) I felt *so* much better about it than just sending my first draft.

Beta readers: gold. Thank you!
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 12:44pm

Betas are like the American Express Card . . . Your story shouldn't leave home without them.  Wink  Mine were all Star  It's always nice to hear all the opinions on what worked and what didn't before you have to submit! 

tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:29pm
What can we say about Betas?  Betas should not be confused with Bettas, which are fish, fish that like a good fight.  Maybe there is a point of comparison between the two.  A good beta reader likes a challenge. That's why they come to me.  They feel that if they can fix my writing, they can do pretty much anything. That's the point at which they would earn the title super beta if the name were not already taken. And it is.  Super beta is a pill for the male prostate and there is no correlation between beta readers and prostate medication.  So, they are not super betas, they are Primo-betas, the best, unparalleled.  Having said that, I must also point out that beta is the second letter of the greek alphabet.  And that is the most admirable thing about beta readers, isn't it?  They know that they are helping someone else to produce the best possible piece of writing.  They won't be that person in the spotlight, that alpha, and they are okay with that.  

My thanks to SimplyMollyMarie, joycarletti, Jlynn127, Chasen and CathyM who were my beta readers for round two.

Chasen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chasen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

What can we say about Betas?  Betas should not be confused with Bettas, which are fish, fish that like a good fight.  Maybe there is a point of comparison between the two.  A good beta reader likes a challenge. That's why they come to me.  They feel that if they can fix my writing, they can do pretty much anything. That's the point at which they would earn the title super beta if the name were not already taken. And it is.  Super beta is a pill for the male prostate and there is no correlation between beta readers and prostate medication.  So, they are not super betas, they are Primo-betas, the best, unparalleled.  Having said that, I must also point out that beta is the second letter of the greek alphabet.  And that is the most admirable thing about beta readers, isn't it?  They know that they are helping someone else to produce the best possible piece of writing.  They won't be that person in the spotlight, that alpha, and they are okay with that.  

My thanks to SimplyMollyMarie, joycarletti, Jlynn127, Chasen and CathyM who were my beta readers for round two.

Thank you as well tcFlash  (along with my Nano friends Chatzy-Life After NaNoWriMo).  I took a bit of specialized knowledge for granted and that one thing changed the way everyone was reading the ending.  Was able to add four words (the last four I had), to fix the problem so the protagonist's final act did not seem so careless.
The Other Side of Yesterday
“You think to burn a Dragon? We are born in flame and tested in fire.” -The Dragon Twins
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 3:42pm
Chasen, I'm looking forward to reading the ending.  It is a compelling story.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic