NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 3 - who's in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 12:58pm
I'm group 5, which doesn't seem so bad:

Genre:  Horror

Object:  A can of pepper spray

but therein lies the problem. How to write it fresh and unexpected and horrifying?

R1 G13: Something Sour
maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Kanary Kanary wrote:

but therein lies the problem. How to write it fresh and unexpected and horrifying?

I'm taking the safest route this time and writing the most obvious, straight forward story I can come up with that has the genre, setting and object totally visible - I guess fresh and unexpected will have to take a back seat, but I'm hoping the story will see it through.  Its probably not going to be my best ever literary effort, but I've never made it to the final yet, so I've got nothing to loose.  Although those prizes do look good............
No baby acorns were harmed in the writing of this story

milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 4:22pm
My prompts looked impossible last night but this morning I woke up with a nearly fully fledged idea in my head, hopefully it's not the same idea three quarters of the people in my heat had, too.

Sci-Fi/A First Aid Tent/An Engagement Ring

Edited by milesmum - 08 Dec 2013 at 9:54pm
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by milesmum milesmum wrote:

My prompts looked impossible last night but this morning I woke up with a nearly fully fledged idea in my head, hopefully it's not the same idea three quarters of the people in my head had, too.

Sci-Fi/A First Aid Tent/An Engagement Ring

Everything looks impossible at Midnight after a full days work!
Ebelie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 7:42pm
I'm really happy about my group this time. I'm Sci Fi/First Aid Tent/Engagement Ring too, and have just finished my draft.  I never bother with too much editing in this competition, so all I need to do is cut 50 words and give it a thorough proof read.

I'm also relatively happy with the story so far, which means it'll do terribly :)
Challenge 1: black eyed susan in the wind
Challenge 2: a thousand pictures of you
Challenge 3: Northbound

milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 9:56pm
EEEK! Just re-read, and fixed my post above. I was not referring to 3/4 of the people in my head, since, so far as I can tell, I am the only one in here.

Ebelie, I look forward to reading yours!
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:05pm
I struggled all day yesterday to come up with an idea. Nothing. I was online commiserating with a friend sometime after midnight, and then I got a flash of insight...

I got done by 6 pm Pacific time, and uploaded it. 998 words.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Sorry. I just had to put these here.

Edited by stephenmatlock - 09 Dec 2013 at 12:03am
FF2020 R1G38 Romance | Paper Cuts
SSP2020 C1G14 Ghost | RAISING HOLY HELL
Ebelie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:06pm
Lol! 

Milesmum, I bet we all came up with very different stories.  There's so much potential variety in sci fi plots.  I'm looking forward to reading yours too!
Challenge 1: black eyed susan in the wind
Challenge 2: a thousand pictures of you
Challenge 3: Northbound

telera View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:09pm
LOL! We knew what you meant, milesmum! 

But how do you edit a post? I tried to in the first Challenge and ended up with two posts for my one story and considerable confusion! One of my dreams is to achieve a proper looking post with actual LIVE links that work! 

Ah, someday! 
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:23pm
Well, submitted with 999 words. Thanks to all my star beta readers!!!

Best of luck to everyone. 72 hours and we get to read! Since I'm done with Nano, I'll actually get to read some this time around!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic