NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 3 thoughts? Possible title/logline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:22pm
Group 3     Suspense / a repair shop / a bottle of champagne

The Last Gift for Milena
          Milena has been receiving alarming packages. Fortunately, an attentive detective is on the case.

I had not at all expected to make it thru, so had very little time for this. Bit peed off to get a shop for the 5th time in NYCM comps, but hey. Plus, I got 'suspense' in the Flash semis, and bailed, after a self-confidence crash and convincing myself I couldn't write suspense. Oh, Karma... 
Major tussles with both time and self-belief later, I managed to agree with myself that I'd feel even crapper if I didn't submit something. So this is a 6-hour rush job. We'll see. I wanted to go wacky, quirky (my go-to), fantasy or sci-fi - so this is classic black and white (but colour in the last scene) Hitchcock-nod. (I should have had him pass by the shop. Damn.) Ah well. Smile

Look forward to reading some brilliant scripts, in a few days' time. Best of luck, all.

Edited by fioOxf - 11 Jan 2021 at 2:21pm
SSCh1 Best Ever Election Soundbite
SSCh2 Finding Alma
SSCh3G3 The Last Gift for Milena
jmkeller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmkeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:25pm

Last round my first sci-fi, this round my first horror!  
One of the reasons I'm so happy to have found this contest - pushes me to try new things and keep learning :)

Group 1 - Horror / A quarry / An energy drink

BONE DEEP

An easy night shift for two friends turns into a deadly 
nightmare that will leave a lasting grudge.

thejamesandrews View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejamesandrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
Group 9: Comedy / A courtyard / A printer

---

Takeover
Members of a militia try to maintain their armed occupation of a state park gift shop, but a malfunctioning printer may prove to be their downfall.

---

Oof. This was the first prompt that truly stumped me. I couldn't come up with any ideas I liked until ~2.5 hours before midnight on Sunday. I took some frustrated inspiration from current events and banged this one out for an 11:59pm submission. It's probably the worst script I've submitted to an NYCMidnight contest, but it'll have to do!

Edited by thejamesandrews - 11 Jan 2021 at 2:08pm
SSC20 R2 G20: Rumors About Princes
SSC20 R3 G9: Takeover
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

The Last Gift for Milena
          Milena has been receiving alarming packages. Fortunately, an attentive detective is on the case.

I had not at all expected to make it thru, so had very little time for this. Bit peed off to get a shop for the 5th time in NYCM comps, but hey. Plus, I got 'suspense' in the Flash semis, and bailed, after a self-confidence crash and convincing myself I couldn't write suspense. Oh, Karma... 
Major tussles with both time and self-belief later, I managed to agree with myself that I'd feel even crapper if I didn't submit something. So this is a 6-hour rush job. We'll see. I wanted to go wacky, quirky (my go-to), fantasy or sci-fi - so this is classic black and white (but colour in the last scene) Hitchcock-nod. (I should have had him pass by the shop. Damn.) Ah well. Smile

Look forward to reading some brilliant scripts, in a few days' time. Best of luck, all.

Hi heatmate! That's the way it goes sometimes, but the best writing can come from this sort of start.

Suspense is pretty hard, I've done quite well with a couple of stories that I never thought were suspense (my entry this time is another one!), and also crashed with a couple I was convinced had nailed it.

Same with drama. I often just write the story that wants to be written on the day, and kinda tie it to the genre, but not slavishly. I think the judges prefer something a little different in round 3 - usually everyone is able to write at this point.

Good luck, looking forward to reading your script!

BG
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

The Last Gift for Milena

Hi heatmate! That's the way it goes sometimes, but the best writing can come from this sort of start.

Suspense is pretty hard, I've done quite well with a couple of stories that I never thought were suspense (my entry this time is another one!), and also crashed with a couple I was convinced had nailed it.

Same with drama. I often just write the story that wants to be written on the day, and kinda tie it to the genre, but not slavishly. I think the judges prefer something a little different in round 3 - usually everyone is able to write at this point.

Good luck, looking forward to reading your script!

BG

Hey there, heatmate!  I got Drama FIVE times in 2020..... like I needed more drama in my life, hehehe. But did pretty well with them. I've tended to get drama, comedy and rom-com, over the last 12 months (with a pol-sat and ghost, thrown in, in Short Screenplay), but the tropes or genre structures for those are easier to fit into 5 pages. 'Gradual' is hard in 5 pages LOL But hey, it's done. I didn't expect to be in challenge 3, so am relieved I managed to submit something. Your script will be first on my reading list. Can't wait. These next two days will feel very long! (They were a day early with Flash...).
SSCh1 Best Ever Election Soundbite
SSCh2 Finding Alma
SSCh3G3 The Last Gift for Milena
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:31pm
Thanks for starting this thread! I was in Group 4 (historical fiction/football or soccer field/wad of cash)

I've had historical fiction a few times, and I always fall into the trap of trying to write a history documentary :S The genre and the sporting prompt also meant I leaned into my love of montages LOL

The Rise and Fall of the Beautiful Game

In the midst of World War One, a sporting phenomenon arises
among England's female factory workers. But no-one predicts
how quickly it will all come crashing down.
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
Group 1 - horror/quarry/energy drink

Quarry Bombs 

A night of partying at a rock quarry leads to the discovery of a dead body, but it's only the first death of the night. 

This one was weird for me. I love horror, but usually supernatural or ones that allude to death without showing it. I killed a lot of people this weekend and felt quite icky about it. Hoping it's a decent horror! 
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ReneC ReneC wrote:

Group 1 - Horror/A quarry/Energy drink

BENEATH THE SURFACE

An awkward trip to a quarry lake becomes a nightmare for a group of teens when a strange boy appears.

I decided to do a horror with a ghost, even though Ghost Story is its own genre. The setting inspired me, I just had to make it not like Stranger Things. LOL

I bit off more than I could chew though. The story I came up with was going to be about ten pages. I cut a character out, shaved off some beats, and my first draft was still over seven pages. It took a lot of tightening and carefully shaving off a few more beats to get it to exactly 5 pages with no time to spare.

Hi heatmate! This sounds great, and also made me so glad I didn't go with the quarry lake option! Although I do still have the partying teenagers in mine as well lol. Can't wait to read yours! 
JCardello View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCardello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:36pm
This was the toughest round i've done, and I felt completely drained after hitting the submit button.

My genre was sci-fi, the location was an amusement park, and the object was a snake.

To be honest, i breathed a sigh of relief for not getting political satire.

Usually I have the idea for my story in place by lunch time on Saturday. For this round I didn't have it until 9:30 at night. I finally just picked on idea and went with it, cranking out a rough draft by 11:00pm that Saturday night.

I was having major writer's block. Once I started to loosen up and just have fun with the freedom that comes with that genre, I got past it. Sunday was a better day of writing, and changed things up quite a few time.

This is the most bonkers story I've written. But in the end, I really gave it my all.

Check out my CH3 screenplay A Ticket to Bliss
ReneC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReneC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Originally posted by ReneC ReneC wrote:

Group 1 - Horror/A quarry/Energy drink

BENEATH THE SURFACE

An awkward trip to a quarry lake becomes a nightmare for a group of teens when a strange boy appears.

I decided to do a horror with a ghost, even though Ghost Story is its own genre. The setting inspired me, I just had to make it not like Stranger Things. LOL

I bit off more than I could chew though. The story I came up with was going to be about ten pages. I cut a character out, shaved off some beats, and my first draft was still over seven pages. It took a lot of tightening and carefully shaving off a few more beats to get it to exactly 5 pages with no time to spare.

Hi heatmate! This sounds great, and also made me so glad I didn't go with the quarry lake option! Although I do still have the partying teenagers in mine as well lol. Can't wait to read yours! 

Hiya back, heatmate! I tend to kill a lot of people and had planned to, but I decided to lean into character a bit more this time which didn't leave much time for all the deaths. I even had to cut a death out by the end. Yours sounds right up my alley, can't wait to read it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic