NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Andrew M Andrew M wrote:

Originally posted by shuwriter shuwriter wrote:

Hi!

Group 21 - Historical Fiction/Extortion/ A Wet Nurse

I spent 1.5 days researching the history of wet nursing until I could get enough background information to create a story.

Title: Freedom No More

Synopsis: A woman takes a job as a wet nurse and realizes she can't escape her past.

I realize this synopsis is bland and doesn't give away any details of my story, especially when I've read others more elaborate synopsis. But at least it's clear. LOL

My main focus was to keep the story in the historical time frame and not break character and to also hit the Extortion topic.

One thing I learned time and again, write the first draft almost immediately because writing REALLY takes place in the revisions.  

I hope I pulled it off to at least rank!

I kept in mind that the 24 in my group were all the top 5 of their first groups. So really honored to be competing with the best! I bet our group brought it!

Good advice here. Best of luck heatmate. I hope we take 1st and 2nd, and I look forward to reading your story if you decide to post it here.

It's a tough balance!

In this context, the logline is 100% for the judges - you want it to propel their interest, get them started with intrigue and expectation, but you DON'T want it to hinder them from the delight of encountering details as they unfold in your piece.

I, however, submitted my story at 11:59 pm and fired off the first handful of words that came to my head. LOL Not exactly the kind of careful crafting I would have aimed for lol
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:58pm
Group 27: Action/Adventure, impassable, a geographer

(Going for the worst synopsis ever award. Written under duress while racing the clock/ working on last minute edits! Very Action/Adventure feel to Sunday night all round.)

Hope to see MORE GROUP 27!

The Student Teacher

A student teacher faces grave danger on a Geography field trip.

Will she be able to protect her terrified students and her injured associate teacher?

G81 SS The Momento
Micro250 The Younger Man HM
R2 G10 Rhyming The Substitute HM
rachell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:57pm
First time writing fantasy. It was kind of fun! This log line was my placeholder that never got replaced. 

Group 19, Fantasy/Prohibition/Cobbler

"The Cobbler Will See You Now" 

Synopsis: In the land of elves and dwarves, after the discovery of a magic orb that cures all ailments, the practice of medicine has been prohibited. A former doctor, now cobbler, risks her freedom to treat patients.

jnpaddock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnpaddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:22pm
Group 44- Historic Fiction, A masterpiece, a navigator

"Martyrs"

In occupied Paris, two women from opposite sides of the war come together to save priceless art from the destruction of the Nazis.

Edited by jnpaddock - 13 Apr 2021 at 11:45pm
Dkramer58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dkramer58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:31pm
I want to read this. Nice!
Probably Someone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Probably Someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:40am
Originally posted by JanetM JanetM wrote:

Group 27: Action/Adventure, impassable, a geographer

(Going for the worst synopsis ever award. Written under duress while racing the clock/ working on last minute edits! Very Action/Adventure feel to Sunday night all round.)

Hope to see MORE GROUP 27!

The Student Teacher

A student teacher faces grave danger on a Geography field trip.

Will she be able to protect her terrified students and her injured associate teacher?

Hi, heatmate!

I like that take on the prompts. I had such a hard time with "geographer," but making it a geography teacher is a clever work-around!
ADave411 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADave411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
A Perfect Game
Group 17
Mystery | A Supplement | A Bowler

Synopsis:
When two strangers plan the perfect murder as an act of revenge, it’s up to a private 
investigator to crack the seemingly benign case before their trail turns cold. 
In a story of death and betrayal, which will rank supreme – justice or vengeance?
All NYCM Entries
Instagram: @MrD_Reads
sbaldassari7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbaldassari7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:39am
Group 17: Mystery, A Supplement, A Bowler

Finding Mom

When Izzy's biological mother doesn't come home, her new foster mother helps her solve the mystery.
Deedee123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deedee123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:51pm
This one was tough for me! I’ve never written political satire before and I definitely felt like I was swimming against the currents. 

Group 25- political satire/ inspector/ abstinence 

In the court of public opinion, sometimes you must take matters into your hands. 
TintinQuarantino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TintinQuarantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:05pm
Group 5 - Suspense / A diploma / A curator

Antithesis
The curator of a museum of tragedies receives a VHS tape in the mail which unravels the event around which she has built her life.

Creating suspense is definitely a discrete skill and not one I particularly possess, but I had more fun with this than I thought I would. It was also inspired by a dream I had on the Friday night, so my subconscious did most of the actual legwork.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>