NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_hinge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 5:03am
Hey all - here's mine, Heat 24, Drama / A bad crowd / A talent scout. Had real trouble for a long time with the talent scout prompt (so many cliches...) but I'm pleased with how it worked out.

Transactional

A talent scout turns on his protégé and they both fall from grace. With his world upside down, it’s hard to know the bad crowd from the good.

R2 short story - H24 - "Transactional"
Angara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:53am
Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

Originally posted by Angara Angara wrote:

HEAT 01
  • suspense
  • a diet
  • a professional wrestler

MINOTAUR : Trapped within a research facility on lock down, a scientist records her last days as the consequences of her actions finally catch up to her.

( Wrote the synopsis in the heat of the last few minutes of the round; I should have alluded to the wrestler in there to clue in the judges right from the get-go. But he's in there playing a pivotal role, I promise!! )

Hi heatmate 
Glad to see another oner on here. 
Looks like we went in completely opposite directions!
Can’t wait to read yours. 
Hopefully more of us turn up here.
Good luck come May.
Kim

Hey heatmate!! I was struggling with this prompt and didn't come up with an idea I liked until noon on the day of the due date. It's good to feel less alone; I can't wait to read yours! Best wishes and luck to you as well.

Edited by Angara - 09 Apr 2019 at 6:54am
Angara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Tricksie Tricksie wrote:

Heat 1:
Suspense, a diet, a professional wrestler

"The Comeback"
Will Femme Fury stage a comeback against Polly Painsy? Or will her poisoner strike again?

Glad to see more of my heatmates! Love the premise and the names, and the fact that you're writing about female wrestlers. Already a win for me.
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:11am
Originally posted by dan_hinge dan_hinge wrote:

Hey all - here's mine, Heat 24, Drama / A bad crowd / A talent scout. Had real trouble for a long time with the talent scout prompt (so many cliches...) but I'm pleased with how it worked out.

Transactional

A talent scout turns on his protégé and they both fall from grace. With his world upside down, it’s hard to know the bad crowd from the good.

Hey heatmate!

Woo hoo! I'm loving this. There are four of us (I think) so far in Heat 24 who have posted and all of our takes on the prompts are soooo different! 

Can't wait to read them all!
FFC2 GR53 - Waiting For Mel
FFC3 GR8 - An Exaggerated Death

Heartstart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heartstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:15am
Heat 29: Spy - Disorganised - Computer Programmer

Connections

A search for a secret family recipe during a dinner party turns out to be much harder than Kurt and April Hansen anticipated, no thanks to their disorganized, yet well-connected, hosts.

Jaamz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:42am
Heat 29: Spy - Disorganised - Computer Programmer

The Sierra Project

A spy takes a low-risk, high-payoff job only to leave behind a trail of dead programmers when things get complicated.

I submitted this with about 10 minutes to spare. I wish I had a chance to address the issues I wanted and include some of the beta feedback but it is what it is.

Good luck everyone!

dan_hinge View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_hinge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:45am
Originally posted by SLK43 SLK43 wrote:

Originally posted by dan_hinge dan_hinge wrote:

Transactional

Hey heatmate!

Woo hoo! I'm loving this. There are four of us (I think) so far in Heat 24 who have posted and all of our takes on the prompts are soooo different! 

Can't wait to read them all!

Hey heatmate! Interesting to see all the synopses. Looks like some great takes on what was (to me at least) a pretty awkward set of prompts. Looking forward to reading them all!
R2 short story - H24 - "Transactional"
Emfizz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Joel L Joel L wrote:

Group 16 - Romantic comedy / Breaking the rules / Marriage counselor

Welp, I go straight from comedy to rom-com, apparently I just can’t escape the funnies this year (although this story is decidedly less of a straight comedy, thank god)

Our Private Gulf of Mexico

Also known as the re-awakening of Mz. Allie Moany from her second death.

Originally posted by kimand48 kimand48 wrote:

This was my most difficult/worst submission I think. It's readable, thanks to some amazing beta readers.

Here's mine:

Heat 16
Romantic Comedy / A marriage counselor / Breaking the rules

Breaking all the Rules

Genevieve had always been that girl, the kind that wrote ‘True Love Waits’ and believed it. But without Mitch things have changed in ways she never would’ve guessed.

Hiya heatmates! Will be stopping by both of these to suss out the competition ;) I struggled with it too, mainly because I've never done a RomCom before. I've had a lot of Spy/Crime Capery type briefs and was so over the genre that I was actually hoping for a RomCom... And lo and behold! The universe does listen!

Group 16: Romantic Comedy / breaking the rules / a marriage counsellor

Somewhere over the Rainbow

When self-professed "loveable joker with a heart of gold" John meets the beautiful and talented Aurora, he thinks he's hit the jackpot... until a shocking revelation threatens to undo it all.

I noticed while writing this story (and also reading past winning RomComs to get a feel for the genre) that I've always had a really bad habit of excessively visualising any story I'm writing like a film. The end result is that my stories are usually quite dialogue-heavy, my descriptions seem a bit flaccid, and I find transitions, summarising passages and exposition really difficult. Anyone else have this problem? 
Jaamz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Joenut22 Joenut22 wrote:

Heat 29: Spy, Disorganised, A Computer Programmer

It’s not a Bug. It’s a Feature. 

An undercover programmer must search for a deadly computer virus at a puzzling company in South London, but finds himself hindered by a messy web of incompetence. 

Not my best synopsis, but was wary of giving too much away! Shocked

Hello fellow heat mate! I Love your title. I’m a game dev so this had me cracking up. Good luck and I can’t wait to read your story.
AngofWords View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngofWords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by JustLurking100 JustLurking100 wrote:

20/Rom Com/Anxiety/Brewer

All is Bitter in Love and Beer

His business is tanking, his mix mojo is off, and he’s falling for his partner’s girlfriend – but Chris is about to discover a surprise or two brewing down at the Pirate Dog.

I love the name "Pirate Dog"! This sounds good! I liked my own prompt, but this one has me thinking. I might just write one of my own off this. 😁
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>
  Share Topic