NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 26>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by AngofWords AngofWords wrote:

Originally posted by patsy patsy wrote:

Group 3
Fantasy/Introvert/Loan

Noble Enough
Synopsis: When his family is threatened with slavery, Thomas will do what he must to save them; even if it means facing a dragon.      

I had to keep the cat because I seriously think he's the best illustration for "dragon" that I've seen today! I'm in your heat and I'm thrilled to see that someone has brought dragons into this. I did not, and I consider that a failing. I'm looking forward to checking yours out!

Thank you!  The cat will make much better sense when you read the story, lol.   It's always fun to see what everyone can make out of a random set of prompts Big smile  Looking forward to yours as well!
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Heat 18: Crime Caper, a rehearsal, a toll collector

The Great Big Mac Caper

Harvey Boston, a toll collector with a remarkable resemblance to the president,

is about to lose his job to automation.  As his last day approaches,

a bespectacled man invites him to help save the world.

I've never been a big Crime Caper fan, but literally everything about this makes me want to read it.

LOL, thanks, Tracy!  I'm not a big Crime Caper fan either--it's one of about three genres I was praying I wouldn't get for this round.  I kept trying to throw this story away, but I couldn't come up with anything else, so I wound up running with it just to keep from bombing out with nothing at all. I'm pretty certain it won't get me into the finals, but at least I made myself (and my husband) laugh as I was writing it. So that's something. Good luck with yours!
kcraven View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:37pm
Group 8
Horror/a rental/a hairdresser
Title: Free Haircuts
MsVickie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsVickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

Originally posted by MsVickie MsVickie wrote:

Heat 2: Fairy tale/a warden/a due date

Title: The Whole Tooth
Synopsis: Hilda the fairy must extract an extra tooth before the night is done.

Love this title!Clap

Thank you so much! My title may be the only good part of my story, haha. I'm curious to see the titles and synopses of others from my heat. Where are my other heat two-ers??!!
2019 SSCR2H2: The Whole Tooth
2019 SSCR1H15: The Origins of Anne Bonny
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

Group 9:

Comedy
Enemies
A Saxophonist

Solar

When the conductor of a small-town symphony orchestra announces a marketing competition to the musicians, tenor saxophonist Todd dreams of claiming the prize and defeating his longtime rival, the bassoonist. Will his dreams of a Solar Powered Saxophone be enough to win him the prize?

Yay, someone else from Heat 9! I look forward to reading it in the forums, if you post. Smile

I plan to post - I'd value your feedback, thank you! I'd love to read yours too.

I do have to say that the story didn't really turn out to be comedy, though. I was extremely short on time and spent a lot of the time I had googling information about music and instruments, so in the end it turned into more of a drama and I didn't have enough time to turn it around.

Mine is more sarcastic/dry humour than lulz and chuckles. Some of my beta readers laughed. My (10-year-old) daughter read it, and said "Sorry I didn't laugh mum. I think it's more something adults might find funny." LOL

My 12-year-old didn't think my story was funny either. LOL  I'd chalk it up to his age, but honestly I think comedy just may not be my thing, especially when I'm rushed and feeling more stressed than funny.

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:05pm

Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Miss Zelda's Ballet School for Bitches and Badasses

SAX APPEAL

My votes for bestest (bestesty?) titles EVER!!! ;-)
Totally reading both of these.

Haha, thanks. I'm wondering how many sax pun titles we'll end up with in my heat though!

My main character has a shirt that says 'I'm too saxy' (of course). Smile

We could start taking bets on which obvious sax puns there'll be (I'm Too Saxy and Sax Appeal at 1-1 already):

The Joy of Sax
Sax, Lies, And Videotape
Sax and the Single Girl
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Miss Zelda's Ballet School for Bitches and Badasses

SAX APPEAL

My votes for bestest (bestesty?) titles EVER!!! ;-)
Totally reading both of these.

Haha, thanks. I'm wondering how many sax pun titles we'll end up with in my heat though!

My main character has a shirt that says 'I'm too saxy' (of course). Smile

We could start taking bets on which obvious sax puns there'll be (I'm Too Saxy and Sax Appeal at 1-1 already):

The Joy of Sax
Sax, Lies, And Videotape
Sax and the Single Girl

Practising safe sax
Saxy and you know it
Let's talk about sax, baby
I'm too saxy for this band
Bringing saxy back...
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
JustLurking100 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JustLurking100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:15pm
20/Rom Com/Anxiety/Brewer

All is Bitter in Love and Beer

His business is tanking, his mix mojo is off, and he’s falling for his partner’s girlfriend – but Chris is about to discover a surprise or two brewing down at the Pirate Dog.

sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 2:44am
Originally posted by Amethyst Amethyst wrote:

Originally posted by sidle_by sidle_by wrote:

Originally posted by Burd Burd wrote:

Oh man these all look awesome!! 

Gr 22 (Sci-fi/preservation/military recruiter)

Last Shuttle

On a dying planet, a new recruit and a scientist form an unlikely friendship. 

*waves*

I got group 22 too :) 
I hate synopsises (synopsi?) but mine is

Mark is tired. He has been reliably doing his job as recruiting officer for the new, ever improving army, but his life changes when he meets a bright, young recruit.

omg i'm so excited to have a group mate, I was starting to worry there wouldn't be anyone other than me on the forums :) 
looking forward to reading yours!! i'm really keen to see how everyone used the recruiter prompt - i'm worried i might be a little light on for it, but who knows! 
Hi fellow group mates! Can't wait to see what you came up with. 
Mine is "The Girl Who Blew Up the Moon": When the solar system is put under quarantine, a retired recruiter must convince an infamous former recruit to help. But will she listen?

i love your title!! looks like we're going to have some good stories in our heat, i'm super keen!! :)
F1 DDN
F2 MM
M1 Cinnamon
Burd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 3:14am

Originally posted by Amethyst Amethyst wrote:

Originally posted by Burd Burd wrote:

Oh man these all look awesome!! 

Gr 22 (Sci-fi/preservation/military recruiter)

Last Shuttle

On a dying planet, a new recruit and a scientist form an unlikely friendship. 

*waves*

I got group 22 too :) 
I hate synopsises (synopsi?) but mine is

Mark is tired. He has been reliably doing his job as recruiting officer for the new, ever improving army, but his life changes when he meets a bright, young recruit.

omg i'm so excited to have a group mate, I was starting to worry there wouldn't be anyone other than me on the forums :) 
looking forward to reading yours!! i'm really keen to see how everyone used the recruiter prompt - i'm worried i might be a little light on for it, but who knows! 
Hi fellow group mates! Can't wait to see what you came up with. 
Mine is "The Girl Who Blew Up the Moon": When the solar system is put under quarantine, a retired recruiter must convince an infamous former recruit to help. But will she listen?

i love your title!! looks like we're going to have some good stories in our heat, i'm super keen!! :)

Hmm, yours look really good! Am simultaneously pleased to feel less alone and suddenly realising this round is a whole new level!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 26>
  Share Topic