NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Prompts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadBadOrJustSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 12:25am
So... I made two stories. Had my editor over and we actually went through both to "submission-ready" levels and chose one, that I turned in around 11 pm EST.

I'm glad I did the work but a little worried i picked the "wrong" one for judging purposes, if I were gaming out the contest. Of course I'm sure it will ultimately come down to results!
edauer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 12:28am
STILL SWEATING hoo baby
Sparker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:10am
Originally posted by GenieAZ GenieAZ wrote:

I think to punish me for eschewing action in round 1, and focusing on the adventure aspect, I drew the same category again.  Sigh.  Group 15.  Action/Adventure.  Riding in an ambulance.  Whisper.

The prompts are so good that I sense a trap.  Lol.

How did you go with that trap? 
Me? I got my arm blown off. It was bound to happen sometime, ay?

Good luck, group mate. I'm excited to read your story. 
cee26 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cee26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:25am
Now playing that fun game of debating whether or not I hit the right genre notes - horror was definitely out of my comfort zone, and I'm afraid it wasn't scary enough (or at all?)
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Sparker Sparker wrote:

I think to punish me for eschewing action in round 1, and focusing on the adventure aspect, I drew the same category again.  Sigh.  Group 15.  Action/Adventure.  Riding in an ambulance.  Whisper.

Well.... I leaned into the trap.  Let's just say it's not the most original story I've ever written.  I'd call it, serviceable.  Tongue   I predict my round 2 curse will continue.. lol.
outoftheashes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outoftheashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:08am

Originally posted by Sparker Sparker wrote:

Well.... I leaned into the trap.  Let's just say it's not the most original story I've ever written.  I'd call it, serviceable.  Tongue   I predict my round 2 curse will continue.. lol.

Not your heatmate but I 100% leaned into the trap, too. My story is unoriginal. Possibly cute but that's about all I can say about it. All signs point to it ending here despite liking my round 2 fic better than my round 1 fic. 
tmanzano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmanzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by LisaBelle LisaBelle wrote:

The prompts feel really tough this round. I wasn’t thrilled with mine at first, but now I feel like I got off easier than a lot of y’all! 

Good luck everyone! 

Group 10
Suspense/thriller
Gluing something together
Room
I got this one too… when I first looked at it I was relieved. I then sat in front of my laptop and became less relieved. I had to walk away from the screen a few times. Drink. The glue was stumping me. These prompts have really pushed me out of comfort zones. I have always worked with a blank slate and let the image/story present itself. I had to summons a conjuring. I did finally submit and feel unsure about capturing suspense. Oh man, I am second guessing mine now. 
tmanzano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmanzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by NMiller NMiller wrote:

Not again!

Group 10
Suspense and or thriller
Room

Perhaps they know something I don't about my capacity to thrill a reader.
Up for the challenge but urgh..not again!
The glue chewed me up. How do you feel about yours? 
LisaBelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:56am
Originally posted by tmanzano tmanzano wrote:

Originally posted by LisaBelle LisaBelle wrote:

The prompts feel really tough this round. I wasn’t thrilled with mine at first, but now I feel like I got off easier than a lot of y’all! 

Good luck everyone! 

Group 10
Suspense/thriller
Room
I got this one too… when I first looked at it I was relieved. I then sat in front of my laptop and became less relieved. I had to walk away from the screen a few times. Drink. The glue was stumping me. These prompts have really pushed me out of comfort zones. I have always worked with a blank slate and let the image/story present itself. I had to summons a conjuring. I did finally submit and feel unsure about capturing suspense. Oh man, I am second guessing mine now. 

As per usual, I’ve veered from tentative confidence to abject defeatism in a span of 60 seconds. I like this better than my round 1 but that’s not saying much.

I don’t hate it. I don’t love it. I have no idea how it will do. Eight of 66 isn’t the best odds, right? I hope a lot of people in our group post their stories! 
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tmanzano tmanzano wrote:

Originally posted by NMiller NMiller wrote:

Not again!

Group 10
Suspense and or thriller
Room

Perhaps they know something I don't about my capacity to thrill a reader.
Up for the challenge but urgh..not again!
The glue chewed me up. How do you feel about yours? 

I will have to admit, I had my glue plan first and worked the story around it. I would have more issues if they had told us what they needed to glue. I feel bad for those with VERY SPECIFIC prompts...like paying a parking meter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>