NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 is soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Zero in round one is a license to have fun with round two.  Take it places it never thought about going, use plastic straws, watch hit movies from the 60s that have since become socially unacceptable, wear a fur coat. 

At that point the contest is short, so enjoy it!

The only time (so far) I got zero points in Challenge 1, I felt freed up to write whatever I pleased. I met their zero points with zero f**ks to give, and scored a 15.
Only missed advancing by Challenge 3 by a couple of points, so...very close...it can happen.
JeanlucPIc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JeanlucPIc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm
I am planning to score zero in round one, which will fill me to the tip-top with self-loathing. I will then drunkenly mail in round 2, and score 15. I will unfortunately miss the round 3 cut-off by a point. From there, I shall chug a bottle of self-doubt, followed by tears, and finally unparalleled mayhem. 
FF20 2, Group 125 The Devil and Pidot ne Mip
FF20 1 The Case of the Pilfered Plate (13pts)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by EricM EricM wrote:

But if I zero out in Round 1, I'll still try my best to score points this weekend, because I'm in this to learn, grow, and write out of my comfort zone. (I figure this applies to most of us). 

Eh, I don't know. My favorite thing about these contests is the competition, the competitiveness!! I have varied interests, but none other than writing are things I can compete in. I love piano, but I can't play Rachmaninoff. I love ice skating, but I can't skate backward (after years of practice). I love psychology, but when I participated in psych bowl in college, we tanked. I played on my then-employer's softball team back in the day, right? The other team hit me a pop fly in the outfield, and I screamed and ran. That was at the beginning of the game, so guess where they kept hitting the ball all night? 

But with writing, I can compete! I'm in it! I feel like an Olympic hopeful who needs the timing to be right, the training to take over, the luck to be on my side, etc., etc. 

But as for the writing itself in this contest, I do appreciate the opportunity to write oddball stories I'd never write without the given assignments!! 

Edited by Zelda - 09 Sep 2019 at 6:48pm
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Trond24 Trond24 wrote:

>>Cue the "every contest, there are a couple people who do make it into round 2 by scoring a 15 on challenge 2, even if they got a zero on challenge 1."

There are also sometimes people who get 15s in Round 1 and still don't make it to Round 3. Not that I'd know...
Amanda71 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:42am
Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

Feeling like I've never written anything before, there's no genre I could do well, I'm a hackfraud wasting everyone's time.

This is what happens when too much time goes by without writing.

Don't be so hard on yourself! I heard the author Trent Dalton speak (I'm in Australia and his book Boy Swallows Universe has hit all the best seller lists and prizes here) and he said he was at his book launch and actually said to the crowd that he felt like a fraud. An older lady stood up and yelled at him "Don't you say that, you belong here as much as anyone. Don't you speak like that!" 
After he said, "Thanks I needed to hear that" and gave her a big hug. It turns out it was the famous Australian children's author Mem Fox! 

So now I'm yelling at you - you are not wasting anyone's time - you are bringing stories, art and creativity out into the world!
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:16pm
I don't expect to score zero. I guess it's possible. But I do expect to have my worst first round score in the 3 years I've been doing these. I know a lot depends on the strength of your group, but my guess is about 7-9 points. 
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Lisel Lisel wrote:

Let me practice that. 
The judges just couldn’t read it properly. Is that how I do it???😂

That’s one way. My favs?
What do you mean “I didn’t understand X”. Could you not see I was quoting Movie Y, which totally fit in my story?
It was very funny. Everyone said so. You have no sense of humor!
“You needed to develop the characters more” in the ‘do better’ section. Followed by “A and B were very solid characters I could relate to” in the ‘You did good’ section.
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by crumhorn crumhorn wrote:

I had a baby in between challenge 1 & 2, so I'm excited to see how extreme sleep deprivation affects my writing style. Big smile
Congratulations!
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
Kathi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kathi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:23pm
Does the feedback from Challenge 1 come in an email?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Kathi Kathi wrote:

Does the feedback from Challenge 1 come in an email?

Yes, it does! :-) You'll get a private email with feedback for your story from three judges! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>