NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 is soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:51pm
You've got yourself a wise wise man :)
Sponsored Links

Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:52pm
Thanks!
Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:52pm
Thank you!

Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:53pm
I would reply but I'm comatose from playing...
Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:55pm
Hahaha
Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:57pm
Holy crap.  So NOW I get a should quote instead of reply when I'm replying to a comment.  Let's hope I understood the rules of flash fiction better. 5000 words, right????Confused
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by ImprintedPrincess ImprintedPrincess wrote:

I'm kind of freaking out now. I was given the worst genre possible (political satire), and I just saw somebody else's post on here about how it's supposed to be comedic. I never saw that in the genre description, and my story isn't funny at all! It's satirical, but doesn't really possess elements of humor. Hope to God I didn't blow it. Unhappy

I am of the opinion that satire doesn't have to be ha ha funny.  Quite often it is dry and sarcastic.  But everyone who sticks with this, or any, comp long enough learns that satire, or any defining factor, means what the judges say it means.  

Which is why a person should feel glad to score high but merely shrug if they don't.  Write the story that makes you happy, and everything else is gravy...
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

Originally posted by ImprintedPrincess ImprintedPrincess wrote:

I'm kind of freaking out now. I was given the worst genre possible (political satire), and I just saw somebody else's post on here about how it's supposed to be comedic. I never saw that in the genre description, and my story isn't funny at all! It's satirical, but doesn't really possess elements of humor. Hope to God I didn't blow it. Unhappy

I am of the opinion that satire doesn't have to be ha ha funny.  Quite often it is dry and sarcastic.  But everyone who sticks with this, or any, comp long enough learns that satire, or any defining factor, means what the judges say it means.  

Which is why a person should feel glad to score high but merely shrug if they don't.  Write the story that makes you happy, and everything else is gravy...
1984 is political satire, and that's about as far from funny as one can get...
Trond24 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trond24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:21pm
>>I was given the worst genre possible (political satire), and I just saw somebody else's post on here about how it's supposed to be comedic. I never saw that in the genre description, and my story isn't funny at all! It's satirical, but doesn't really possess elements of humor.

Please breathe. :-)

PolSat sucks - I got it for the first time two years ago and it AIN'T fun. But doable.
And there are two flavors of political satire: satirical and comedic. They can be separate or they can be combined - but it does, absolutely, 100%, not HAVE to be comedic.

What about A Modest Proposal made you laugh? Pretty much nothing. But that was polsat at its finest.

If you followed the genre description, you'll be fine. (and you can even stretch that! My first ghost story for NYCMFF wasn't scary in the slightest and I scored a 14.)

Relax. :-)
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:28pm
I'd still take Pol Sat over comedy or rom com any day. 
FFC CH1 H76 - Work To Be Done
FFC CH2 H76 - A Princess in Distress
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic