NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 is soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by EricM EricM wrote:

Okay, after putting this contest out of my mind for over a month, my excitement meter is back to Threat Level Raspberry.  

I feel you, EricM. Threat Level Raspberry.
2019 FFCH2 When the Rooster Crows

Novelista, Chickenista, Operanista
Sponsored Links

GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by crumhorn crumhorn wrote:

I had a baby in between challenge 1 & 2, so I'm excited to see how extreme sleep deprivation affects my writing style. Big smile

You're going to make that baby pull his weight, right? If you bottle feed, he should beta read! LOL

Jeez, that was hilarious. God bless you, crumhorn, I was a total vegetable for the first two months of my daughter's life. Total vegetable drawer in the fridge.

GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by EricM EricM wrote:

But if I zero out in Round 1, I'll still try my best to score points this weekend, because I'm in this to learn, grow, and write out of my comfort zone. (I figure this applies to most of us). 

Eh, I don't know. My favorite thing about these contests is the competition, the competitiveness!! I have varied interests, but none other than writing are things I can compete in. I love piano, but I can't play Rachmaninoff. I love ice skating, but I can't skate backward (after years of practice). I love psychology, but when I participated in psych bowl in college, we tanked. I played on my then-employer's softball team back in the day, right? The other team hit me a pop fly in the outfield, and I screamed and ran. That was at the beginning of the game, so guess where they kept hitting the ball all night? 

But with writing, I can compete! I'm in it! I feel like an Olympic hopeful who needs the timing to be right, the training to take over, the luck to be on my side, etc., etc. 

Beautifully said, Zelda. You're who I want to be when I grow up.

But as for the writing itself in this contest, I do appreciate the opportunity to write oddball stories I'd never write without the given assignments!! 

Michellecrystal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michellecrystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:39am
So, I’m new to the flash fiction arena, do they add up points from round one and two to see who gets eliminated for round three?
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:13am
Originally posted by JeanlucPIc JeanlucPIc wrote:

I am planning to score zero in round one, which will fill me to the tip-top with self-loathing. I will then drunkenly mail in round 2, and score 15. I will unfortunately miss the round 3 cut-off by a point. From there, I shall chug a bottle of self-doubt, followed by tears, and finally unparalleled mayhem. 

That's actually EXACTLY what happened to me last year! (It may have been a couple points off, but still!)

Good luck to you!

-Alex
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Zero in round one is a license to have fun with round two.  Take it places it never thought about going, use plastic straws, watch hit movies from the 60s that have since become socially unacceptable, wear a fur coat. 

At that point the contest is short, so enjoy it!

The only time (so far) I got zero points in Challenge 1, I felt freed up to write whatever I pleased. I met their zero points with zero f**ks to give, and scored a 15.
Only missed advancing by Challenge 3 by a couple of points, so...very close...it can happen.

Same!

Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:20am
Originally posted by Michellecrystal Michellecrystal wrote:

So, I’m new to the flash fiction arena, do they add up points from round one and two to see who gets eliminated for round three?

That's precisely what they do. Scores from Challenge 1 and Challenge 2 are added together. The top five combined point scorers from each group go into challenge 3 (which can also be considered Round 2, but I believe they've dropped that terminology).
FFC CH1 H76 - Work To Be Done
FFC CH2 H76 - A Princess in Distress
Judy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:50am

Yeah, you guys definitely have the hang of it! There are so many fun ways to blame the judges that I can't even begin to count them. My personal favorite (and likeliest one I use) is, "My literary masterpiece rendered the judges so insanely envious that they retaliated by scoring against me." (Although that belief generally flies out the window as soon as the feedback email shows up. Still, though, for one day, I have the great feeling that the judges don't appreciate good fiction when they see it.) Big smile

To Judy: Oddly enough, I didn't use any beta readers for the first round either. If I recall, I was feeling rather unsociable that weekend. But I'll definitely beta-read for you! :-) And I'm sure you'll do better than you think! 

I’m taking you up on that offer!
Results today = fear of email. 
Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:02pm
Before our scores (if we score!) come in, may we all take a moment to revel in our last few hours of believing any one of us can win.  These are the glorious hours of writing,  the ones we can equally enjoy, the ones before self-doubt slam us and we pour a scotch and question our reasons for existing.
Mowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:19pm
Question.  So are judges assigned by genre (therefore changing each round) or are judges assigned by group (therefore we'd have the same judges for rounds one and two).  Anyone know?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic