NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 is soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by crumhorn crumhorn wrote:

I had a baby in between challenge 1 & 2, so I'm excited to see how extreme sleep deprivation affects my writing style. Big smile

You're going to make that baby pull his weight, right? If you bottle feed, he should beta read! LOL
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I had a baby in between challenge 1 & 2, so I'm excited to see how extreme sleep deprivation affects my writing style. Big smile
You're going to make that baby pull his weight, right? If you bottle feed, he should beta read! LOL

I don't know, this baby doesn't even have a clue how to use a semi colon. It's embarrassing.
FF'19 CH2 H60:To Kill Another Day
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:52am

I don't know, this baby doesn't even have a clue how to use a semi colon. It's embarrassing.

Not even a semi-colon? Just throw the whole thing away and start fresh.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:28am

Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I'll bet it's already a professional at colon use, however. 
This Sig Intentionally Blank
riquigley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote riquigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:06pm
It's not an elimination round, but it is improbable that you would qualify for Round 3 if you didn't score any points in Round 1. Just glancing at last year's results, it looks like out of the 500 contestants that made it through to Round 3, only three of them scored 0 points in the 1st/2nd round, but then scored the maximum points in the other round and eeked by to Round 3 with 15 points total.

That's 0.6% of people who went through to Round 3 without scoring any points in one of the first two rounds. So, it's not impossible, but you'll have your work cut out for you.
SS Ch#1:One More Time

FF Ch#1:https://tinyurl.com/y2et9qf6
FF Ch#2:TicketGurl87
EricM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by riquigley riquigley wrote:

It's not an elimination round, but it is improbable that you would qualify for Round 3 if you didn't score any points in Round 1. Just glancing at last year's results, it looks like out of the 500 contestants that made it through to Round 3, only three of them scored 0 points in the 1st/2nd round, but then scored the maximum points in the other round and eeked by to Round 3 with 15 points total.

That's 0.6% of people who went through to Round 3 without scoring any points in one of the first two rounds. So, it's not impossible, but you'll have your work cut out for you.

Data can be such buzz kills!

But if I zero out in Round 1, I'll still try my best to score points this weekend, because I'm in this to learn, grow, and write out of my comfort zone. (I figure this applies to most of us). 

Plus, I may make this an annual thing, so it'd be nice to have a "real" baseline (as opposed to an "off the rails!" score) to compare to subsequent years. 
CH1 GP113 The World's Most Dangerous Fly (Comedy)(6 pts)
CH2 GP113 A Scoop of Reality (Drama)(13 pts)
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by EricM EricM wrote:

Data can be such buzz kills!

But if I zero out in Round 1, I'll still try my best to score points this weekend, because I'm in this to learn, grow, and write out of my comfort zone. (I figure this applies to most of us). 

Plus, I may make this an annual thing, so it'd be nice to have a "real" baseline (as opposed to an "off the rails!" score) to compare to subsequent years. 

Zero in round one is a license to have fun with round two.  Take it places it never thought about going, use plastic straws, watch hit movies from the 60s that have since become socially unacceptable, wear a fur coat. 

At that point the contest is short, so enjoy it!
This Sig Intentionally Blank
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:12pm
Feeling like I've never written anything before, there's no genre I could do well, I'm a hackfraud wasting everyone's time.

This is what happens when too much time goes by without writing.
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:27pm

Congrats! And good luck! :)
Flash R3 GR20 The Curiosity Loop
Micro R1 GR32 First to Market
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

Feeling like I've never written anything before, there's no genre I could do well, I'm a hackfraud wasting everyone's time.

This is what happens when too much time goes by without writing.

You need to write more things to keep your momentum going. Cause we all know you're good at this!
Flash R3 GR20 The Curiosity Loop
Micro R1 GR32 First to Market
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic