NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2, how you doing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentailed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:51pm
And, submitted! Twice! I always find a typo after handing something in. A little joke my subconscious likes to play on me.

Good luck to those still editing, this has been a whirlwind round. I loved being able to participate, and I'm very intimidated by all of you. You're so talented! Can't wait to see what you all came up with.
SWC 21 1st round: The Bureau of Temporal Control

SWC 21 2nd round: Brave Beauty

LAbeles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAbeles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:09pm
Group 4. Romcom/Cohabitation/An Optometrist.

Stick a fork in it because it's DONE. Just in the nick of time. I found Romcom even more challenging than Fantasy. Hope you're all celebrating completion and the very best of luck to all you talented humans. Can't wait to read your scripts!
SSC2021 R2 G32 Can't Touch This
SSC2021 R1 G32
Aoife's Race
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:10pm
Submitted! As has become an unfortunate habit of mine in these contests lately, I threw out everything I'd written with four hours to go and started over completely. What I submitted is very much a first draft, but at least it's complete. I'm going to go have a glass of wine that's filled all the way to the rim. Good luck to everyone still working!
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

Submitted! As has become an unfortunate habit of mine in these contests lately, I threw out everything I'd written with four hours to go and started over completely. What I submitted is very much a first draft, but at least it's complete. I'm going to go have a glass of wine that's filled all the way to the rim. Good luck to everyone still working!

I noticed we were in the same group when I searched "thriller" on the list -- was catching up and read through this thread and saw you were having doubts on whether or not to submit earlier this weekend. I'm glad you ended up submitting! Hope you enjoyed that glass of wine (maybe a second). 

Speaking for myself, I just submitted! "Thriller"... maybe? My recent sensibilities had me make it a little ridiculous, so I guess I hope the judges find it, uh... unique.

I also was quite distracted this weekend with family obligations for Memorial Day Weekend here in the States. But excuses are #lame, so onward we go. I did have fun writing mine, so I guess that's what's most important. 

So hyped to read everyone's stories!
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 12:31am
I’m the same way—is it ‘thriller’? I think so? Might be more action/adventure, but we’ll see!
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 12:40am
Originally posted by nickwascreative nickwascreative wrote:

I’m the same way—is it ‘thriller’? I think so? Might be more action/adventure, but we’ll see!

Best of luck to both of our "thrillers" Wink
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 12:47am
Originally posted by pondsandfrogs pondsandfrogs wrote:

Originally posted by nickwascreative nickwascreative wrote:

Best of luck to both of our "thrillers" Wink

Good luck! Were you in gr. 13 by chance?
LoneWolf2021 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneWolf2021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 1:56am
Originally posted by g_howie g_howie wrote:

Originally posted by LoneWolf2021 LoneWolf2021 wrote:

Round 9, Suspense, Bribe, Brother-in-Law.

Suspense as a genre seems quite open to me, so I've combined it with a touch of horror, as those seem to go well together...like crunchy peanut butter and gory jelly. ??

I must have edited it 10 times (at least). Not sure if that's normal. 

"All writing is re-writing" right?! Normal is overrated - whatever works for you and your process!! Btw - Gory Jelly would be a fantastic name for a wrestler or punk band

And after I sent that, I edited it three more times.LOL
If I ever get 'wrestler' as a prompt...watch out. 
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

I have a first draft, but I'm about to read it and find out if it makes any sense (spoiler, it probably doesn't). I really hate my prompt: horror/a buyout/a poultryman. Also, I had horror in the first round Confused, was not keen for it again haha. Oh well, name of the game I guess. How's everyone else doing? Anyone else hating their prompt? How are my group 8 peeps doing?

Good luck everyone!

Hi, heatmate! I hate this prompt as well, it really didn't spark much imagination for me. My mind kept wanting to make chickens attack the guy wanting to buyout the farm. But I would have taken it down the comedy route instead of horror, which wouldn't have been good lol. 

Finally came up with an idea that I somewhat like. It's not very horror-y, though (which is only more bothersome since I bombed out the last two times I was assigned horror in these comps). Wrote a draft I liked, then hated, then rearranged some things, then it didn't make much sense, then put it back together as it was with a few minor changes, then finally just called it and submitted. Whatever will be, will be. 

Yo heatmate! I'm right there with you, I almost did the murder chickens too, but I couldn't bring myself to do it haha. I ended up writing something with good horror potential, but cramming too much character backstory in it so parts of it read like a drama. But some good beta readers pulled me to my senses, so I gutted those scenes last night at 4 am and ended up with something I'm reasonably happy with (or maybe I'm just delirious from sleep deprivation haha). 

Hope that yours worked out well :D
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 2:53am
Originally posted by pgleleux pgleleux wrote:

Originally posted by SkylerAutumn SkylerAutumn wrote:

Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

I have a first draft, but I'm about to read it and find out if it makes any sense (spoiler, it probably doesn't). I really hate my prompt: horror/a buyout/a poultryman. Also, I had horror in the first round Confused, was not keen for it again haha. Oh well, name of the game I guess. How's everyone else doing? Anyone else hating their prompt? How are my group 8 peeps doing?

Good luck everyone!

Don't like my genre and wish I had yours. If only to take the term "poultryman" and mess around with it completely. haha. Can horror also be comedic? I think so.

Good luck and judging by your last entry, maybe horror is your thing? Smile

No a Horror cannot be funny in the competition. I wrote a black comedy horror last year and got raked over the coals for it. Learn from my mistake!

I don't know...I didn't think there was anything funny about my first round horror entry, but one of the judges referred to its "dark humor"... and they loved it!!! I guess it depends on the script and the judge. It's all arbitrary and subjective. I'm just glad I finally broke through to the second round!

That makes sense! I've found in the prose comps the judges are really open to genre-blends so long as the assigned genre is clear. I decided to steer away from horror comedy though, because I'd have absolutely gone too hard on the comedy if I did it haha. Glad the judges liked your dark humour! In my last horror (why do I keep drawing horror?!) they liked some of my character-based interludes, but I was super unsure about them until I got the feedback. So I guess it just depends on the judges.

@Skylerautumn, I'm sorry the judges didn't like your horror-comedy. I bet it was really good! So much of these things depend on the judges that you get.

Good luck all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>