NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2, how you doing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerAutumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

I have a first draft, but I'm about to read it and find out if it makes any sense (spoiler, it probably doesn't). I really hate my prompt: horror/a buyout/a poultryman. Also, I had horror in the first round Confused, was not keen for it again haha. Oh well, name of the game I guess. How's everyone else doing? Anyone else hating their prompt? How are my group 8 peeps doing?

Good luck everyone!

Don't like my genre and wish I had yours. If only to take the term "poultryman" and mess around with it completely. haha. Can horror also be comedic? I think so.

Good luck and judging by your last entry, maybe horror is your thing? Smile

No a Horror cannot be funny in the competition. I wrote a black comedy horror last year and got raked over the coals for it. Learn from my mistake!
LoneWolf2021 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LoneWolf2021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:26am
Round 9, Suspense, Bribe, Brother-in-Law.

Suspense as a genre seems quite open to me, so I've combined it with a touch of horror, as those seem to go well together...like crunchy peanut butter and gory jelly. ??

I must have edited it 10 times (at least). Not sure if that's normal. 

1st Round screenplay:Baggajazz [fairy tale]
2nd Round screenplay: The Stakes [suspense]
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:58am
I've got five pages, but the story is unwinding so slowly I'll need at least fifteen to tell it. I think perhaps I've overloaded my plate with too many of these competitions and I'm burning out a bit. I nearly didn't finish my submission for short story last weekend, and pulled something together from scratch in the final hours. Maybe that'll happen this time, but I have a feeling this may be my first round to simply not finish anything. Still a good exercise, though! 

Edited by bluevervain - 30 May 2021 at 12:00pm
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

Thanks! It seems to be mostly coming together. I think haha. Yeah I don't mind writing horror on occasion, but I don't read/watch a lot of it, so I've got constant paranoia that I'm falling into tropes. But as long as it makes sense I'm happy at this point :P.

What's your genre? Best of luck, hope it's coming together.

My genre was Crime Caper and it's not my thing at all but I had fun with it anyways. On the plus side, my prompts were a cleaner and a forgery. It's a plus because I was a cleaner at one point and I sell antiques as a day job.

Another way we could all think of tropes is a bit like the way the New Yorker uses cliches. If it's a totally new take on the familiar, it's a win.

Thanks and good luck to you too! I can wait to see what this group did with the prompts. Some of the other prompts looked a bit thin but these ones had serious possibilities!
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

I've got five pages, but the story is unwinding so slowly I'll need at least fifteen to tell it. I think perhaps I've overloaded my plate with too many of these competitions and I'm burning out a bit. I nearly didn't finish my submission for short story last weekend, and pulled something together from scratch in the final hours. Maybe that'll happen this time, but I have a feeling this may be my first round to simply not finish anything. Still a good exercise, though! 

Nooooooo! You can do it!
Look at your plot summary and give the elevator pitch. BAM! Now your story is one paragraph. Start adding the best bits back in.
Remember Hemmingway's 6 word story.

Stuff happens in your story that you could tell me at a bus stop and have me intrigued enough to go buy your book. Write just those parts.

And yes, today, I am wearing my imaginary cheerleader outfit. You've done it before and you'll do it again.
Look forward to reading it!

NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by SkylerAutumn SkylerAutumn wrote:

No a Horror cannot be funny in the competition. I wrote a black comedy horror last year and got raked over the coals for it. Learn from my mistake!

Well, damn. I hope I never get horror then. Or different judges! In a twisted way, those two genres kind of fit together because that's often how humans deal with horror in real life.
That's really surprising but I'll heed your advice and keep that in mind. All zombie movies and Stephen King would have taken your side though.Wink
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by g_howie g_howie wrote:

I was so worried about getting romance that I forgot to worry about getting Crime Caper. Got Crime Caper/a forgery/a cleaner.
Idea came in a snap. Wrote all 5 pages in one fell swoop and then realized it was 8 pages.
And then my personal caper began.

Final Draft to PDF to test since it wouldn't convert last time....

Oh no - that's so frustrating!! If you are in red alert zone, could you copy/paste rebuild it through a free software like Celtx or Trelby? I'm a final draft user and not seen something like this before - sounds like it'd be worth sending customer service a message. Good luck pal!! 

Yep, I will be contacting them. I tried all the different suggestions for both adobe and Final Draft but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's my stone tablet of a computer.

So far I've read 7 drafts for people and the Celtx scripts have almost double the word count in the same number of pages. I'm a little afraid to flip it over to that one because it may show as five pages now, lol.
Aside from the nit-picking last edit, it's done so I won't poke the sleeping bear.

Don't really want to change from Final Draft because my scriptwriter hero uses it. After I watched an interview with Guillermo Del Toro, I decided that I wasn't so weird and started writing again!
Strange reason but the connection gives me a giggle when I'm stuck, so it's worth it.

Good luck to you too! Thanks!
dialitbackfilms View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dialitbackfilms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:29pm
Group 3, Sci-Fi, Grandmother, Insurance.  

Just finished Draft 6, but I think it's done except for a tweak or two here and there.  Long journey from the first mess to this one.  Fun challenge.
https://dialitbackfilms.com
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by dialitbackfilms dialitbackfilms wrote:

Group 3, Sci-Fi, Grandmother, Insurance.  

Just finished Draft 6, but I think it's done except for a tweak or two here and there.  Long journey from the first mess to this one.  Fun challenge.

Tough prompts. The genre doesn't mesh nicely with the last two. I'm going to have to make a note to read everything in this group too. A challenge indeed. Best of luck!
dialitbackfilms View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dialitbackfilms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by SkylerAutumn SkylerAutumn wrote:

Well, damn. I hope I never get horror then. Or different judges! In a twisted way, those two genres kind of fit together because that's often how humans deal with horror in real life.
That's really surprising but I'll heed your advice and keep that in mind. All zombie movies and Stephen King would have taken your side though.Wink

Last year or two I got Horror - my least favorite genre - and the other prompts were "tv antenna" and break room."  So for five pages I cobbled something together.  I liked it well enough to re-visit it, and I expanded it to 10 pages, and I'm filming it this weekend!

Edited by dialitbackfilms - 30 May 2021 at 2:53pm
https://dialitbackfilms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic