NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 drop offs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round 2 drop offs?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:41am
In my group, in the 2nd round, the points only went 4-15, no 1, 2, or 3 places.  Now I know that your about to say, but, 6 people had scores of - 14, 10, 6, 4, 3, 1 in the first round, and they did not score in the 2nd round?

Can there be another reason they did not score, other than they did not write?  With a score of 14, 10, or even 6 in the first round I would think they would have submitted - I had a goose egg and I still wrote.  I have not ever heard of anyone getting disqualified, but maybe that?  Just seems odd that so many scorers in my heat did not write leaving three places empty.

Looking at other heats it is the same, people with a 14, 12, 10 not writing for the second round?

Edited by Suave - 11 Jan 2019 at 4:55am
Sponsored Links

JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:38am
I can think of three reasons:

1) They forgot/something came up--so they didn't try.
2) They tried to write and froze up.
3) They got discouraged/decided they didn't like screenwriting.

SSC2018:
CH1 G25 Noble Rot-15 pts
CH2 Cultivar-14 pts
CH3 G2 Unbalanced Diet
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:27am
Waddup. Not a screenwriter, but interested in this question.

Looking at the scores, I see what you mean. Definitely some folks who scored a 14(!) in round 1, but then appear to have no entry for round 2.

I have to believe it just means that life got in the way, yknow? It happens. 
jshbartolome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshbartolome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:26pm
It’s also quite possible that they bombed hard on the second challenge.

Last year, I had triple fifteens before going to the finals. I whiffed hard on the final challenge and got a flat zero, but I did do my best. Sometimes, the judges just won’t like your work, and no amount of craft or talent will change that. 

NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:26pm

Good spot Tim, hadn't noticed that!

Clearly, some people didn't enter the second challenge. Either, it was a case of finding no idea to run with or just giving up thinking there's no way they'd progress based on their round one score....or no score.
I have to go with logic regarding no scores below, for example 4 that there were no further submissions.

In reality.....all of us are good writers. We can create and craft. The real key in these competitions is doing that under such a limited time frame. Getting something we are happy with in 48 hours is bloody hard...hence why some of us post with a caveat of 'sorry, but this is sh*t' and some don't have the confidence to post until after the results are released...and quite a lot....not at all.

I have been stumped completely for at least 24 hours in every round since I did R1 short story last January. That was the only time the idea came to me immediately....and I still procrastinated until the last day as I was trying to throw off what I felt was too obvious and was working all week.

As I said to a friend yesterday, the thrill of these competitions isn't about getting me to write, it's about getting me to finish something I write and to push me into genres and areas I'd never in a million years choose to write about otherwise. That is making me grow as a writer and beating down some demons in the process. It's a great learning curve....and I think the majority of those of us here on the forum are here because we want to learn. We want our fellow writers here to comment, critique, pull apart and also praise our work to help us be better next time.

Judging is a lottery, again I said today to a friend....we need to write for ourselves. If we love a piece and the judges don't reward it....don't lose heart...because it's still in yours and it is all yours and something to stand back and be proud of, no matter what score or judgement....you made something new out of nothing.

Sad to see that some of you haven't progressed to the next round and my heartfelt commiserations. I know how that feels as I loved at least one of my Flash Fiction pieces and think it deserved better and with this competition, no idea how I pulled it off.....but I'm very happy to be moving on.

May the muse be with you all x

Paula x

Edited by NYCNewbie - 11 Jan 2019 at 4:31pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

Waddup. Not a screenwriter, but interested in this question.

Looking at the scores, I see what you mean. Definitely some folks who scored a 14(!) in round 1, but then appear to have no entry for round 2.

I have to believe it just means that life got in the way, yknow? It happens. 

Yes, I guess you could be right, it just seems that so many had that happen that it seems too much of a coincidence when spread out through the contest - I mean who does that with a 14 or 12 or even a 10.  Just seems to me it happened too many times, but who knows, perhaps it is alien interventions - they do that you know.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by jshbartolome jshbartolome wrote:

It’s also quite possible that they bombed hard on the second challenge.

Last year, I had triple fifteens before going to the finals. I whiffed hard on the final challenge and got a flat zero, but I did do my best. Sometimes, the judges just won’t like your work, and no amount of craft or talent will change that. 

I hear what you are saying, but even if they did whiff hard they would have scored if there were place there to take - in the heats that had no 1,2,3 scores they would have picked up a low score leaving all 15 places filled, but those scores were just not handed out.
trish1206 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:16pm
In a competition years ago, I didn't expect to make it into a final round and had a vacation planned.  No sweat, I'll just bring my laptop, right?

The baby waddled by the damn thing and it crashed to the floor into pieces.  Literally two pieces.  I lost my whole story and my sanity.   Never did recover anything.  

(This was way before google docs....)
3rd Place Finalist FF2013
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:27pm
Although a 5 was discouraging from Challenge 1, we still rose to Challenge 2 and submitted what we thought was a decent story. Got 8 on it, for a total of 13, and not progressing to tonight's challenge. I can see people being discouraged. I chalk the low scores up to the quirks of this group of judges... I've seen comments to the same all through the forum. So, my partner and I await the Spring challenge, and hopefully a better group of judges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic