NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 1 results, and a question for round 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round 1 results, and a question for round 2
    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:55pm
Hello everyone - 

Congratulations to everyone that made it on to round two. I skimmed through the results and saw some of my absolute favorite stories made it through (like RELEASED and A Thousand Stings just to name a few but there were many more). I, sadly, did not make it on to round 2 but really enjoyed this whole process and will definitely do it again. I'm already signed up for the flash fiction competition in July. I wish I'd had time to have some beta readers because the things in my story that the judges were critical of were the same things every other commenter critiqued as well when I shared my story so clearly I could've benefited from a few proof readers lol.

I was wondering, even though I didn't make it into round 2 will I still be able to go to the round two forum and read everyone's second round submissions? I so enjoyed reading your stories and would love to be able to read the next round as well, if possible.

One last thing - I think I saw in a previous thread where people shared their judges comments - Is that something that someone will start for this first round as well? I'd be happy to share my comments and would love to see what their comments were for others' stories as well - Especially for the ones who made it on to the second round...I'm curious to see what sort of things they felt worked, etc. Anyway, I know that sort of thing can be a personal experience so perhaps everyone wants to keep the comments to themselves. Just thought I'd inquire about it.

Good luck to everyone in the second and third rounds and thanks so much to everyone that offered comments on my story "Listen" - I plan on printing them all out and reworking my story with those comments laid out in front of me. :-)

Christine
RD1 H46 Listen
Sponsored Links

fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:02pm
Christine,
Hi there. Yes, we can read and leave feedback on the round 2 screenplays - we can even write Non-compete screenplays by using a randomiser to select a group number, and applying the same rules. So long as we indicate clearly on the forum title that it's NC or Non-compete.

It's worth reading and commenting, and beta-ing too. 

See you in Flash.

Edited by fioOxf - 11 Jun 2019 at 10:04pm
SSC-'19 By Brighton Beach (Ghost)
SW'19 R1 H5 An Apple for the Boatman (Ghost)
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Christine,
Hi there. Yes, we can read and leave feedback on the round 2 screenplays - we can even write Non-compete screenplays by using a randomiser to select a group number, and applying the same rules. So long as we indicate clearly on the forum title that it's NC or Non-compete.

It's worth reading and commenting, and beta-ing too. 

See you in Flash.

Ooh awesome - I'm so glad I'll still be able to read everyone's stories. Great idea about using a randomizer to pick a second round heat. I'd thought about participating by just going down the list and finding where my name would've fallen alphabetically had I made it through and just used that group but I like the randomizer idea too. Maybe I'll try that.

I'm glad to know someone else who'll be in the flash competition. Smile Can't wait.

Christine
RD1 H46 Listen
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Hello everyone - 

Congratulations to everyone that made it on to round two. I skimmed through the results and saw some of my absolute favorite stories made it through (like RELEASED and A Thousand Stings just to name a few but there were many more). I, sadly, did not make it on to round 2 but really enjoyed this whole process and will definitely do it again. I'm already signed up for the flash fiction competition in July. I wish I'd had time to have some beta readers because the things in my story that the judges were critical of were the same things every other commenter critiqued as well when I shared my story so clearly I could've benefited from a few proof readers lol.

I was wondering, even though I didn't make it into round 2 will I still be able to go to the round two forum and read everyone's second round submissions? I so enjoyed reading your stories and would love to be able to read the next round as well, if possible.

One last thing - I think I saw in a previous thread where people shared their judges comments - Is that something that someone will start for this first round as well? I'd be happy to share my comments and would love to see what their comments were for others' stories as well - Especially for the ones who made it on to the second round...I'm curious to see what sort of things they felt worked, etc. Anyway, I know that sort of thing can be a personal experience so perhaps everyone wants to keep the comments to themselves. Just thought I'd inquire about it.

Good luck to everyone in the second and third rounds and thanks so much to everyone that offered comments on my story "Listen" - I plan on printing them all out and reworking my story with those comments laid out in front of me. :-)

Christine

Absolutely! You are a member of this community and regardless of where/how you place in a particular round, your feedback and commentary are always welcome! 

I usually post my feedback in the story post as I'm not comfortable putting it in the public forum. You'll see a lot of folks do that and update their story title with "W/FB". It's a great way to continue learning from each other. 

Beta readers are so, so valuable. Regardless of the comp here, you'll usually find someone willing to help!

Glad your first NYCM was a good one! This place is addictive...  I look forward to seeing you over in Flash! :) 
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:14pm
Echoing Lisa, just use the EDIT option on your original post to then add the feedback (copy and paste). Take a look at a few already posted and you'll see how. I'm not moving on either, but am happy with my Honorable Mention, since I wasn't expecting anything at all! My feedback is pretty awesome, so it's also posted. And I'll be available for my usual suspects to beta for them if they want me. As Lisa said, you are a member of our community, whether you move on or not. People who know you know now will probably be expecting to see your feedback and critiques on their R2 entries.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Absolutely! You are a member of this community and regardless of where/how you place in a particular round, your feedback and commentary are always welcome! 

I usually post my feedback in the story post as I'm not comfortable putting it in the public forum. You'll see a lot of folks do that and update their story title with "W/FB". It's a great way to continue learning from each other. 

Beta readers are so, so valuable. Regardless of the comp here, you'll usually find someone willing to help!

Glad your first NYCM was a good one! This place is addictive...  I look forward to seeing you over in Flash! :) 

Aww, what a nice sentiment Lisa! So nice to be a part of this wonderful community of like-minded individuals all with a passion for writing and honing their craft. I love it. After I made my post I did notice several people updating their story threads so I'll do the same to mine. Thanks for the info on how to do that. Also, hurraaaay, another flash fiction participant! Can't wait! :-)

Christine
RD1 H46 Listen
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Echoing Lisa, just use the EDIT option on your original post to then add the feedback (copy and paste). Take a look at a few already posted and you'll see how. I'm not moving on either, but am happy with my Honorable Mention, since I wasn't expecting anything at all! My feedback is pretty awesome, so it's also posted. And I'll be available for my usual suspects to beta for them if they want me. As Lisa said, you are a member of our community, whether you move on or not. People who know you know now will probably be expecting to see your feedback and critiques on their R2 entries.

Hey, congratulations on the honorable mention - Well done. I'll have to go check out your feedback since you've given it such high praise. I appreciated mine as well but I wish it focused more on technical screenplay type stuff. You know like, was my inciting incident good enough, did the turning point come at the right moment, how could my climax have been stronger, etc. The judges seemed to focus solely on whether or not the story made sense and while that is a huge and very important aspect I do also feel that those story structure points I mentioned are also important too and would love focus on that as well. Oh well, guess you can't have everything haha.
RD1 H46 Listen
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:18am
Thanks for the shout out! Embarrassed I loved your story and would love to see your comments on Round 2 stories - the more the merrier!

Glad you signed up for Flash and hope you’ll sign up for Shprt Screenplay in the fall. It gets wild with four rounds!
Screenplay R2: I Fall to Pizzas
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Thanks for the shout out! Embarrassed I loved your story and would love to see your comments on Round 2 stories - the more the merrier!

Glad you signed up for Flash and hope you’ll sign up for Shprt Screenplay in the fall. It gets wild with four rounds!

I really love these competitions so I'm sure I'll be back for the short screenplay one - Hope I don't run out of money doing all of these BAHAHA!
RD1 H46 Listen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic