NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rom Com - must have HEA? Or implied future HEA?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rom Com - must have HEA? Or implied future HEA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rom Com - must have HEA? Or implied future HEA?
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:13pm
So...do you think a rom com must absolutely end with a definite happy ever after? Or can an implied future happy ever after work? 
terrilynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrilynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:23pm
(I teach English and am a writer.)

For it to be a romance it either has to be Happily-ever-after or "Happy-for-now." 

It sounds like you're aiming at the second one. 
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:59pm
Good question, I feel like it needs to be at least implied, but I'm curious to see what people say. With this tiny word limit I went with implied, because I needed to fit a meet cute in there and oops, hit the word limit, what do ya know...
turtlevibes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtlevibes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:21pm
If it helps, I scored fairly highly with romcom during the second round of flash fiction with what I assume is the lower limit for the "rom" in romcom. I had written a somewhat flirty meet cute with attraction/future relationship more implied than stated outright, though had doubled down on the comedy. Definitely was not a happily ever after.

Personally I think romcom is one of the most restrictive genres for these prompts. Other genres you can aim for a vibe or tone, but the romantic comedy really forces you to have certain narrative elements included AND it has to be funny. Definitely hard to do in 250 words, but good luck!

Edited by turtlevibes - 21 Nov 2020 at 6:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic