NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story R1 Beta Sheet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhyming Story R1 Beta Sheet
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:38am
Maybe a little premature because assignments just went out, but I figured I'd get everything ready ahead of time!

A few things to keep in mind for folks new to the beta process!

1. Be prepared to return beta reads when you sign up! Sometimes people keep betas open after they're happy with their story and don't want a return read or sign up to beta even when they're not in the competition, but unless otherwise noted, make sure you're available to give feedback in return!
  2. Let your beta know what stage of the writing process you're in! Giving feedback on a rough draft is very different from doing final stage line edits, for example.
  3. Be mindful that many writers prefer not to beta their own group, so try to find betas who aren't in your group (or ask the person first if you'd like a beta from someone in your group)!
  4. Believe it or not, there is such thing as too much feedback! Everyone has a preference for how much feedback is helpful (I generally aim to get feedback from 3-5 people). Try to avoid overwhelming yourself with feedback (and return reads) from too many people!
  5. Be sure to change your "Status" in the doc to "Closed" when you are no longer available so you won't keep getting requests! If you forgot to change your status and got requests you don't have time for, it's nice to let the writer know so they aren't holding out for your feedback!

Here's the beta sheet for whenever folks start getting their drafts together! Happy writing! Smile

slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:49am
Never too soon! Thank you! Smile 
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm
Thanks for kicking this off! I always use betas, but this challenge is especially nerve-wracking. Rhyming AND Historical Fiction! Dead
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:36pm
Bump!
Molsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:41pm
Could someone kindly explain this too me like I am an infant? Cheers.
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Molsie Molsie wrote:

Could someone kindly explain this too me like I am an infant? Cheers.

lol, yes

Basically, fill this out if you want to swap stories with someone not in your group to check for errors or give notes on structure/story before submission. 

In the first column, you'll put "Open" or "Closed" based on if you have time to give notes to someone else. 

You can check the sheet for "Open" people and send them a link to your story to read and give notes on (Google docs works well, but some people will note if they'd like it in a different format). 

You can take or leave the notes they give you, but it's a good way to hone your story for submission.
Molsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:59pm
Merci! Smile
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:06am
bump
Patagonia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patagonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
Here's a question - is it a faux pas to post to Beta if you don't have a finished draft? I have been kind of stumped for the first part of this week, and have something now, but it's not finished. Do I need to find some way or other of finishing it before submitting for a Beta read, or can I ask for ideas on a direction to take it from here?

Thanks!
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Patagonia Patagonia wrote:

Here's a question - is it a faux pas to post to Beta if you don't have a finished draft? I have been kind of stumped for the first part of this week, and have something now, but it's not finished. Do I need to find some way or other of finishing it before submitting for a Beta read, or can I ask for ideas on a direction to take it from here?

Thanks!

This is what betas are for! Definitely get some beta eyes on your story, and they should be able to give you ideas.
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>