NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story Final

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhyming Story Final
    Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 4:37pm
Hey there everyone,

So, it’s the Rhyming Story Challenge Final tomorrow and I noticed the tumbleweeds and what appears to be a ghost town on the subject. So, here I am to bring a little life to this very exciting prospect.

88 writers in the final and some incredibly amazing and worthy stories that we all read on the forum thrown into the long grass. 🤷‍♀️

I do wonder why that is? Feel free to pontificate.

For real newbies (not me - that bloody handle cannot be changed!), the genre is always ‘Open’ for finals, so you choose what you want.

That throws me for a loop when I realise I quite like the limitations prescribed.

Anyhow, whether you’re in the final or not, feel free to pitch in your thoughts and feelings regarding what is the inaugural Rhyming Story Challenge Final.

And good luck to all the finalists! 

Edited by NYCNewbie - 03 Feb 2023 at 5:44pm
HSmart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HSmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 4:49pm
Thank you for setting my mind at rest on genre!

I don't know why the stories were ranked the way they were - in all honesty I was surprised to get through, I'd read others in my group and thought I had no chance.

Given there obviously was a formal marking breakdown (x% formatting, y% rhyme scheme etc) I would have loved to see that to know what I got through because of and what I got through in spite of.

What tends to be the deal with beta readers for the final? Obviously the pool of people involved is smaller and we're all in the same group. Though I might be tight enough to the wire on timing for this one that my husband will be my only option!
Rhyme23 R2 Jamie's Bot
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by HSmart HSmart wrote:

I don't know why the stories were ranked the way they were - in all honesty I was surprised to get through, I'd read others in my group and thought I had no chance.

Given there obviously was a formal marking breakdown (x% formatting, y% rhyme scheme etc) I would have loved to see that to know what I got through because of and what I got through in spite of.

What tends to be the deal with beta readers for the final? Obviously the pool of people involved is smaller and we're all in the same group. Though I might be tight enough to the wire on timing for this one that my husband will be my only option!

Hi Hilary,

For those of us who’ve participated here for a while, and some that have been here much longer, we have asked repeatedly for the rubric that NYCM use to mark our submissions. No dice.
Regarding betas, it does become somewhat tricky in a final as you are in direct competition, but there’s usually a beta spreadsheet, and many previous round competitors step up to help.

Paula
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by HSmart HSmart wrote:

Good luck this weekend!!!  I got HM1 in the second round and am disappointed not to be writing along with you.  I am happy to beta for you if you need another set of eyes - just send me a DM :)
HSmart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HSmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 5:37pm
Thank you Paula for the information (am now intrigued what your alter ego is!) and CHartman if time allows I may well take you up on that offer!
Rhyme23 R2 Jamie's Bot
SLSingleton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SLSingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 5:43pm
I can't believe I made it to the final round! Eeeeeee!!!
I've done a few NYC competitions now and usually make it to (but not through) the second round. I've gotten a good few honourable mentions. I am excited and nervous. Can't wait to get the prompts!
Read my Flash Fiction 2020 Challenge 3 Story - Where There's a Will... [URL=https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic36620_post386608.html#386608[/URL]
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by SLSingleton SLSingleton wrote:

I can't believe I made it to the final round! Eeeeeee!!!
I've done a few NYC competitions now and usually make it to (but not through) the second round. I've gotten a good few honourable mentions. I am excited and nervous. Can't wait to get the prompts!

Awesome! Congratulations to you❤️🥳

This will be my 3rd since 2018, but I can tell you that the pressure never lets up.
Treat it like a R1:story and chill. You’ll go bonkers otherwise!🤪
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:21pm
Chill in R1? Really?

Wink
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

For real newbies (not me - that bloody handle cannot be changed!), the genre is always ‘Open’ for finals, so you choose what you want.

That throws me for a loop when I realise I quite like the limitations prescribed.
Same! I've been in the finals twice before and found that the "open" genre feels like an immense amount of latitude after being told what to do in previous rounds.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

Same! I've been in the finals twice before and found that the "open" genre feels like an immense amount of latitude after being told what to do in previous rounds.

Any mileage to be had out of setting yourself/ourselves a genre or two before the prompts drop? That's my plan. The mash-up can grow out of that, but having an idea to start with probably helps. No?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>