NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Omri9 Omri9 wrote:

Originally posted by firstofficerjoni2 firstofficerjoni2 wrote:

On a different note, this was the sum total of ‘What the judges like’ from one of mine:

{2242}  The pacing and rhythm felt great, and the word choice was excellent. I love the ending and the idea is great.  

Informative, that!

Interesting. I got the following from 2242 “Love the final line. The pacing and rhythm felt great, and the word choice was excellent.”

(To be fair, there are probably only a limited number of ways to express that sentiment. And I did get a bit more from that judge on the "needs work" section.)

It was before my time, but at least once before a judge has been caught giving copy-and-paste feedback thanks to people posting here. Definitely worth mentioning when you rate the judge, anyway.
Mahunny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 2:30pm
I was really pleased with my feedback, the positive comments were really complimentary which was nice to read. There was absolutely no mention of the rhyme or the rhythm at all so do I take that to mean they had no complaints? Certainly there were a few stumbles that I was worrying about but i did work hard on very clear and true rhymes.
The main complaint was wanting to get more backstory, more explanation and more interaction with some of the characters, which I 100% accept and agree with, but the problem is I had literally one or two words to spare so really couldn’t add any more. Ultimately I interpret that feedback as it was too big a story for the word count available, and next time I just need to try to simplify the plot a little. The challenge gets harder with only 500 words though!
Loganking75 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loganking75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 12:11am
When do I start being concerned about not receiving any feedback?
aao View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 12:19am
Hi Logan,

I don't have the answer to your query, but I would email NYC Midnight directly; I've always found them quick to respond. Bummer to not have received it by now... it's difficult to be patient! 

Hope it's helpful and encouraging, whenever it makes its way to you.

aao
aao View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 12:21am
Oops! Sorry for getting your name wrong, Jonathan!
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 12:27am
Originally posted by timmytimtimothy timmytimtimothy wrote:

Overall my feedback felt tired, contradictory and unusable. For example, what does this even mean?
"Keep writing in this style so you get a good "feel" for it and can whip up some witty rhymes on the spot.  This will help when you set out to write with preparation and thought."

Really enjoyed the contest for the awesome stories everyone shared, but don't think I'll be signing up next year. I'd rather write prose, to have more chance of finding a home beyond the competition.

That said, $62 for Short Story next year is getting exxy! 

Good luck to those writing this weekend. Can't wait to read some awesome yarns 😊 
Can I just say yo Tim what the actual f**k I would be livid. The condescension is stunning. You took this with more grace than I could, and I can only hope that judge learns how to write crit with preparation and thought, dang...
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loganking75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 7:20am
I still haven't received my feedback. And my inquiry to NYC directly has gone unanswered.
Goldbeater1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldbeater1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 3:10pm
That’s disgusting. Maybe everyone who reads this should also write to NYC midnight asking why you have not received your feedback?
R1G1thriller The Intruder
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Loganking75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 3:36pm
There's no need, although I do appreciate the support. :) Turns out I had somehow marked the NYC feedback as a blocked sender in my email. Total user error, and NYC was very kind to make sure they got a hold of me following my second ticket to them. 
Goldbeater1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldbeater1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 5:52pm
That’s good to hear! 
R1G1thriller The Intruder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>