NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story 2022: Progress Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhyming Story 2022: Progress Report
    Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:20am
We are nearing the halfway point of Round 1 of the Rhyming Story contest! 

So how's it going? Have you started? Finished? Are you enjoying your prompts? Is creating a rhyming story easier or harder than you thought? 
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:25am
I'll start. I finished my first draft yesterday. A beta reader confirmed that a story structure issue is causing confusion. But I think it is easily remedied. I have room for one more stanza, so I'll be looking for a place to spend those extra words. The rhyming is easy enough and sounds great when I read it aloud, but it's hard to know how others will perceive it when they read it. Another reason the betas are so helpful! Hopefully I will complete my second draft today and iron out the structure issue and then polish, polish, polish until the finish line.

Edited by slinkylink - 27 Sep 2022 at 9:34am
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:30am
I was completely blank for 48 hours, then yesterday I had a moment of inspiration and managed to grind out just over 100 words. Still a long way to go, but at least I've got something to build on. It feels more like doing a puzzle than writing a story!
lousie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lousie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:32am
This is by far my favourite competition so far. Easy enough to write at the start, but so hard to get the rhythm perfect for other readers who might put emphasis on different words and throw out what seems to be a perfect line in my head! And a whole new respect to all those poets in the past that created masterpieces without rhymezone or a thesaurus Confused
Rhyming R2 2023
[URL=https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic57213_post617020.html#617020[/URL]The Scent of a New Dawn
AMOSD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMOSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:33am
I just finished, but I’m fairly sure it’s still rubbish at this stage, so I’m glad there’s still a few days to edit. Also, I cannot think of one single half decent title to use. You’d think that would be the easiest bit!
Curryfriedrice View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:25am
I’m finished and submitted my story! It was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be, but maybe that’s because I got romance and romance/romantic comedy were the two I was dreading. I felt like the rhyming aspect plus the word count limit made it really for me to “show and not tell”. Plus I tried to kind of make the story take place mostly in my main character’s head to emphasize the loneliness/isolation until the very last few lines. I’m not sure if I got that across or if it just came out totally amateurish (it felt and read very armature.. but I think with my prompt it was the best I could do…)
Admittedly I think I was too nervous to join the beta forum! My first time writing made me second guess and not want to overthink, although I’m dying to read what other people have!
Also I found trying to keep a “steady beat” and rhyming wasn’t super natural for me and made me second-guess a lot of the grammar and formatting!
Curryfriedrice View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:28am
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

I was completely blank for 48 hours, then yesterday I had a moment of inspiration and managed to grind out just over 100 words. Still a long way to go, but at least I've got something to build on. It feels more like doing a puzzle than writing a story!
Good point! It did feel like a puzzle!
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:28am
Got the idea, an outline of roughly how many stanzas I will spend on each part of the story, and about 8 of them written. I’d like to get something suitable for beta readers in the next couple days.

I’ve got a butcher knife ready for the next person who calls a rhyming story a poem.

Edited by Dark&StormyNight - 27 Sep 2022 at 10:28am
rlambert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlambert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:44am
I’m really enjoying this challenge! The first draft flowed out in about half an hour on Saturday. Some amazing beta readers gave me confidence in the story as a whole, but gave some great pointers on rhythm/rhyme improvements. Finished a second draft last night, and while I think another round of reviews will produce a few more tweaks, I think it’s very close to being ready. One side effect I’m noticing is that lately I keep expecting rhyming whenever someone speaks to me.
evgar View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:47am
This is way harder than I expected it to be haha. I think I'll have something I like at the end, but I'm definitely not enjoying writing in rhyme. It's a good challenge, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>