NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Challenge: Notes and Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhyming Challenge: Notes and Thoughts
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:09am
For anyone who signed up for the inaugural Rhyming Story Challenge, here’s a few things to keep in mind…

The length of the stories and time to submit changes for each round. I’m not sure how to feel about 8 days for the first round. I’ll either be finished by the end of the weekend and contemplate tiny changes all week or I won’t start writing til next Saturday LOL

Your theme must be ‘apparent and present throughout your story.’

Your emotion need only be expressed once. No bonus points (or penalties) for multiple mentions.

I suppose theme and emotion are equivalent to location and object in terms of their importance.

Judging Criteria: 10% Format (this one needs a title page and synopsis, but the synopsis does not need to rhyme) 10% Spelling and Grammar 30% Rhyming Scheme and Pattern 50% Story

Thoughts? Comments? Progress? Good luck to all as we tackle the first challenge!
LaurenDee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurenDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:18am
This was super helpful for me, thank you! I feel the exact same about the eight day time period for the stories. I'm hoping motivation catches my eye today and not next weekend. 

Question: Do we need to use the exact word of our emotion? EX. my emotion is inspired. Can I use synonyms of the word or do I need to use the actual word in the story? This will be my first time writing a poem since middle school. Eek!
JeanetteMarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanetteMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:34am
Hi all, I agree on the deadline! 

A question, how long are your lines in your story? I have an idea and am moving along, each line so far around 10, 11 syllables. (NOT perfect iambic pentameter, lol!)

I'm not a poet at all, was afraid it would come out sounding too sing-song, but so far so good.

MF100, R1, G39
Real Life Rom-Com
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-gr39-romantic-comedy-breaking-vase-very_topic53172.htm

RSR1,G5 HM1
Ten Minutes to the End of the World
VaughnieM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaughnieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
I have drawn one of my worst nightmare genres of Romance but seem to have found the 600 words very easy to write. The above is really helpful as I was not sure if the emotion was clear enough, but as it does not need to be throughout I do feel more confident with this. Also seeing the brake down of marks is good. 
My only concern is my theme. Technically it runs throughout but I am not sure how apparent it is. Still have a week to tweak. 
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by LaurenDee LaurenDee wrote:

Question: Do we need to use the exact word of our emotion? EX. my emotion is inspired. Can I use synonyms of the word or do I need to use the actual word in the story? This will be my first time writing a poem since middle school. Eek!

Here’s some more on the emotion: 

The assigned emotion needs to be expressed in the story at least once. For example, if the assigned emotion is "angry", then the emotion of anger needs to be expressed in the story somehow through narration, a character's actions, dialogue, or another way. If the emotion is not clearly expressed in the story, it will run the risk of being disqualified.’

So it seems like you dont necessarily need the exact word of the emotion but it needs to be clear.

I have ‘tired’ and will be wresting with sleepy/exhausted tired and fed up/sick and tired
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:21pm
I got my dream genre of Fairy Tale but am majorly struggling with my theme, "prophetic". I'm trying to both avoid the obvious and decide how to tackle it -- Will a character trying to either avoid or assure a prophecy suffice? I kind of think so, since it'd be the motive behind everything. Or should the whole thing be written as a prediction? That'd be super-hard for this genre. *sigh* I didn't think I'd need all 8 days, but now I think I will.

Edited by TeeHi - 24 Sep 2022 at 3:23pm
JeanetteMarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanetteMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:36pm
If the emotion is out of control, which mine is, do you suppose it has To be an out of control person?

Could it be, for example, an out-of-control missile hitting a house?
MF100, R1, G39
Real Life Rom-Com
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-gr39-romantic-comedy-breaking-vase-very_topic53172.htm

RSR1,G5 HM1
Ten Minutes to the End of the World
Curryfriedrice View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:39pm
I was wondering if anyone else was thrown off a bit by the assigned themes? Some of the themes I read seemed to be more typical literary themes (jealousy, companionship, guilt etc.) however some didn’t really seem like “themes” to me but rather aspects or components? I don’t know how to describe it. My theme is round trip. I of course can incorporate a round trip into my story but I’m not sure if I read a story with a round trip if I would name it as a theme of the story if that makes sense? Any suggestions on how to create a theme out of that? 
Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by JeanetteMarie JeanetteMarie wrote:

If the emotion is out of control, which mine is, do you suppose it has To be an out of control person?

Could it be, for example, an out-of-control missile hitting a house?

Emotions are felt by characters. While you could utilize that as an effective metaphor and action to add to your plot, I think it has to be something felt. 
Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Curryfriedrice Curryfriedrice wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else was thrown off a bit by the assigned themes? Some of the themes I read seemed to be more typical literary themes (jealousy, companionship, guilt etc.) however some didn’t really seem like “themes” to me but rather aspects or components? I don’t know how to describe it. My theme is round trip. I of course can incorporate a round trip into my story but I’m not sure if I read a story with a round trip if I would name it as a theme of the story if that makes sense? Any suggestions on how to create a theme out of that? 

Yeah. That sounds crazy to me. I would just make sure your entire story refers to is about this round trip. It seems more of a setting than a theme to me. Maybe work it like you would Location in other contests?

Yes. You got a rough one. I think the people in your group should automatically advance. 

Edited by Zero11 - 24 Sep 2022 at 1:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>