NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RFI: Worldbuilding Between Rounds/Years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Anansi Anansi wrote:

Sure you could, but why would you?

I would say you'll get more out of the competition if you roll the dice afresh each time. 

If you've built characters and worlds you're proud of - why not expand on them - outside this competition? 

Because it's a lot easier to write fast if you already know the characters, and why waste time on ones you aren't going to use for sure? The one way to guarantee it's a one-shot for me is if I have to come up with a character who's not either in my 'stable' or already more or less the same template. Aleks, from my R1 here, appears in both my FW entries (one was a finalist, one won, not that they'll ever pay out, and in that cases the judges almost certainly were the same people and knew it was the same characters.) You do better work with familiar tools and the point is good product. 

If I need a new character, I'll think of one myself on my own time. If I'm having to use insane objects and lunatic locations, I'm using everything I can to take a shortcut. 
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by gretchasketch gretchasketch wrote:

17. Preparations - The ONLY work that may take place in connection with the Contest prior to the date and time of the genre, location and object announcements in each challenge, is the preparation, execution, and submission of required documents to NYC Midnight Movie Making Madness, LLC.

Well, that seems to be pretty damning.  I did read the rules, but it has been since July that I read them.

Thanks
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
FFC19 R1C1: G63 Cold Feet
FFC19 R1C2: G63 When Jenny Woke Up
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:31pm
Except that's not really work. You already wrote a story, but you're not writing the same one. Least of all with the bizarre assignments. Sequels if anything are more work than the first one. (Though with Easter eggs the problem I could see is if it was a story from a contest two years ago, some forum people might get it but the judges will be different people and won't, plus with flash the word count's so narrow just putting in an in-joke could eat up space.)
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Except that's not really work. You already wrote a story, but you're not writing the same one. Least of all with the bizarre assignments. Sequels if anything are more work than the first one. (Though with Easter eggs the problem I could see is if it was a story from a contest two years ago, some forum people might get it but the judges will be different people and won't, plus with flash the word count's so narrow just putting in an in-joke could eat up space.)

I mean ... if one were so inclined, one could spend the off-season generating characters or character facets for every potential genre ... that's definitely work toward the challenge.
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
FFC19 R1C1: G63 Cold Feet
FFC19 R1C2: G63 When Jenny Woke Up
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Phobos Phobos wrote:

I mean ... if one were so inclined, one could spend the off-season generating characters or character facets for every potential genre ... that's definitely work toward the challenge.

You could, but I would hope you're not writing stuff for this contestbwhen you're not in it. I mean, this presumably isn't the only thing people write for-trying to come up with every possible permutation you could get seems like a colossal waste of time. Especially since the object or location could be so random you couldn't possibly have something that would work for everything.

Otoh one would assume if you're a writer you always have ideas and characters, free-floating or from other projects, that you could make fit if the prompts lend themselves.
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:04pm

If I'm having to use insane objects and lunatic locations, I'm using everything I can to take a shortcut. 

Totally fair enough. Everyone works differently. I find it easier to deal with the potentially silly objects and locations by having as many variables in my imagination as possible, including characters. But I see your point. I also like the idea of recurring characters popping up in different genres in questionable situations!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic