NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Mine too - I liked what they liked of course, but what needs work was really concrete and all explained it very well. I'm going to send good feedback about my feedback, ha.

Me too. We need to encourage the good judges to keep participating.
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:37pm
I got 5th. So a decent base score leading into round 2!

I got some actionable "needs work" feedback that I will hopefully apply as early as this weekend. So yay!

I also did Writing Battle that weekend, but I don't feel like my NYCM screenplay would have been much different, even if I hadn't been doubling up. 

soakinscott View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soakinscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:53pm
I got 3rd so I'm really pleased and motivated heading into the weekend.

This is my second competition with NYC and I'll say that while it's very validating to have positive feedback (and receive points), it's quite unpredictable. My favorite thing I wrote in another competition didn't place and this one--which I thought was "solid" but nothing great--got third. You never know. Judges have preferences I'm sure and there's always some luck involved.

So for those who didn't place, keep on writing for yourself. It's worth the push.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

I also did Writing Battle that weekend, but I don't feel like my NYCM screenplay would have been much different, even if I hadn't been doubling up. 

Oh mine either, I don't know that mine would have been any better. Probably not. But my personal satisfaction bar is low for this right now - I am happy I finished both, and didn't hate either one. That's fine.
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

Oh mine either, I don't know that mine would have been any better. Probably not. But my personal satisfaction bar is low for this right now - I am happy I finished both, and didn't hate either one. That's fine.

Likewise. I am happy that I rose to the challenge and I am proud of both of my stories. Though I don't know that I would purposefully do simultaneous competitions again. My brain was pretty mushy by Sunday afternoon!

Edited by slinkylink - 16 Sep 2022 at 6:06am
sleepycurtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepycurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 7:07pm
I got 7th in mine, and it's hard to know what's what in my feedback since all three judges' comments conflicted with each other. Do we know how the judging process works? Do they meet on a FaceTime call or something and talk about the screenplays, or do they read them all isolated and submit feedback/scores that way? Confused
JCW View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:10am
Conflicting feedback can be so tricky! Sometimes it's rough finding the note beneath the note, but hopefully it can help you pinpoint an area to address in the next draft! 
MarlynnOfMany View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlynnOfMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:05pm
I haven't gotten my feedback yet. Do they email it to you?
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by MarlynnOfMany MarlynnOfMany wrote:

Try checking your junk mail folder. Still can't find it? Email NYCM and they will resend.

nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by MarlynnOfMany MarlynnOfMany wrote:

Yes, they should have been emailed. They come from feedback@nycmidnight.com so maybe check your spam/junk folder if its not in your inbox. And if you still don’t find it, reach out to that email.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>