NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results timeline?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessedjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Results timeline?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:11am
When do we usually start seeing results from round 1? 
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 5:46am
Do you mean the 250? If so, 17th-18th December. Link here: https://www.nycmidnight.com/250

Good luck!
SallyJhyphenP View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SallyJhyphenP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

Do you mean the 250? If so, 17th-18th December. Link here: https://www.nycmidnight.com/250

Good luck!

I thought that was the dates for round 2? We should get the results before then

Edited by SallyJhyphenP - 18 Oct 2021 at 5:54am
Paul Bee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 6:23am
Probably the Thursday 
Wednesday if lucky
So Dec 15/16ish

Edited by Paul Bee - 18 Oct 2021 at 11:48am
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 6:30am
Originally posted by SallyJhyphenP SallyJhyphenP wrote:

Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

Good luck!

I thought that was the dates for round 2? We should get the results before then

Yes, maybe a day or two before. That's all. Usually the Master lists (when created) will have the results date posted.

Edited by Nimhathuna - 18 Oct 2021 at 6:35am
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:12am
The confirmation email will arrive in around 30-36 hours' time, and it'll have the results date on it. Or at least, it'll say 'results BY 11.59pm ECT on December (14 or 15)'. So somewhere between 14th-16th December, depending where you are in the world. 
Eli9 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eli9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:24am
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

The confirmation email will arrive in around 30-36 hours' time, and it'll have the results date on it. Or at least, it'll say 'results BY 11.59pm ECT on December (14 or 15)'. So somewhere between 14th-16th December, depending where you are in the world. 

Honestly, now I'm even more confused. We actually don't get results from this round until the middle of December? But we are allowed to post our stories here 72 hours after submission to share with each other? But the judging is supposed to be anonymous. How do I know that the judges don't just hang out here looking for their favorite people to post their stories? Not to be cynical but as a first timer I want to know whats up. Thanks anyone who can clarify this for me. I figured we got results sometime this month, even this week since we were allowed to post our stories in 72 hours. Major confused. 
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:32am
No, you're not confused :)
I guess the judges sign some contract in which they commit to not reading the forums. No idea. The forums aren't public, so it's important to post your story in the 'closed' area (which will appear tomorrow, just before we get our confirmation emails), if you decide to share. If you look in the Creative Lounge at the moment, you can probably see 2020's Micro 250 area - that'll disappear tomorrow and a 2021 one will appear. You'll click on that before you create your story forum. 
Sharing is the best bit of the competition, though, as, if you read other stories and leave reviews, you'll get a lot of reviews of your story, which will help you learn. We all do that - I think most people here stick around the forums to learn from each other. 
But with nearly 6,000 stories to judge, and then all the results to collate, two months is understandable. 
Once the results come out, people stop reading the round 1 stories and move on to round 2, so having a couple of months is a positive.
Eli9 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eli9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:39am

No, you're not confused :)
I guess the judges sign some contract in which they commit to not reading the forums. No idea. The forums aren't public, so it's important to post your story in the 'closed' area (which will appear tomorrow, just before we get our confirmation emails), if you decide to share. If you look in the Creative Lounge at the moment, you can probably see 2020's Micro 250 area - that'll disappear tomorrow and a 2021 one will appear. You'll click on that before you create your story forum. 
Sharing is the best bit of the competition, though, as, if you read other stories and leave reviews, you'll get a lot of reviews of your story, which will help you learn. We all do that - I think most people here stick around the forums to learn from each other. 
But with nearly 6,000 stories to judge, and then all the results to collate, two months is understandable. 
Once the results come out, people stop reading the round 1 stories and move on to round 2, so having a couple of months is a positive.

Okay, that makes some sense. I couldn't find any info on the website about all of this, which I thought was strange. That seemed like quick judging (72 hours), but they do have a crap load of judges and the stories are short, so I wasn't sure what they were cramming in a short time frame. I'm apparently cynical I guess. I'll go with the "judges sign some sort of contract..." bit. Thanks for enlightening me. SmileConfusedConfusedLOL
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Eli9 Eli9 wrote:

Honestly, now I'm even more confused. We actually don't get results from this round until the middle of December? But we are allowed to post our stories here 72 hours after submission to share with each other? But the judging is supposed to be anonymous. How do I know that the judges don't just hang out here looking for their favorite people to post their stories? Not to be cynical but as a first timer I want to know whats up. Thanks anyone who can clarify this for me. I figured we got results sometime this month, even this week since we were allowed to post our stories in 72 hours. Major confused. 

Yep, I know. That's always at the back of my mind too. I'd say you're realistic, not cynical. Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't and only if I have time to return the favour and read and comment on other contestants' stories since they've taken the time to read mine. If I have other commitments, I do not post. So you'll be waiting the full hog to just a couple of days (max, hopefully) before the next round. Anyway, enjoy the experience. Smile 

Edited by Nimhathuna - 18 Oct 2021 at 8:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>