NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

I WOULD be interested in knowing the actual mechanics of the scoring system, just because I'm an insufferable logistician who needs to know how everything works. 

I'm assuming the judges each rank the stories and then NYCM averages their rankings to give final placement?

edit: actually, now I think I'm remembering that each judge scores on a total of 100 points.  They must average those scores to find the final placements, which is essentially the same thing I guess.

Oh, well that would clear it up a bit! We just don't get to see those raw "out of 100" scores I guess.
CH1 GP113 The World's Most Dangerous Fly (Comedy)(6 points)
CH2 GP113 A Scoop of Reality (Drama)
Sponsored Links

Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

That makes sense. I just find this point system extra painful, MUCH more so than a ranking of the top five. Three judges didn’t even give one point each? Am I that terrible of a writer? It feels like getting a zero score on an exam. I’m really just horrified.I don’t know that I want to put myself in the position of feeling like this again for a contest.

I agree, it's more painful than it has to be.  Like couldn't they give 1 point to everyone, and save the 0s for dqs and no-shows?  
It actually makes business sense for them to do it this way.  If a lot of people drop out at ch2, it's just less stories they have to pay judges to read.

But please don't think of it as "your story is worth 0 points."  I guarantee you that's not the case.  You were assigned a raw score by the judges which you'll never see, but for all you know, your raw number may have been enough to get you double digits in a different group... it just doesn't make the top 15 in the group you happen to be in.  
It's ok to let yourself grieve for a bit.  Getting any score lower than what you expect is hard, and having it be a zero is an extra slap in the face.  But you created something you really love, and when all is said and done, that's what you're going to remember.
calksb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote calksb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:52pm
" three hardcore folks scored zeros in one challenge and still moved on. "

That's not hardcore, that's thrifty and getting as much of what we paid for as we can. When I sent in my entry fee, I thought that at least I would get two stories critiqued by whoever the professionals are. 

Even though I hoped to do better, I am OK with my one point. I have taken part in another long time site for years, and if there is one thing I know it's that one reader will read and really NOT GET my writing at all, and another will love it. And I review a lot on that site. and find that some stories that really ring my bell don't do a thing for another reader.

If you like to write, keep writing. If you paid your fee for this FF challenge, keep writing until they don't let you in again this contest.  I find the genre challenge the hardest of all. I know I can usually please readers when I pick everything. 

If nothing else, the comments from the judges should help you to decide where to submit your work. Or how.

calksb

Ch1 Gr 63 Mystery/a child's bedroom/ a tropical fish
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ffc1-gr-63-joey_topic22848.html
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by calksb calksb wrote:

" three hardcore folks scored zeros in one challenge and still moved on. "

That's not hardcore, that's thrifty ...

I still call that hardcore. That's a writer who probably felt kicked in the metaphorical nuts and didn't let it rattle them. Or perhaps it inspired them to bring it in the next challenge! Or both.

Edited by ChillyToez - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:09pm
calksb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote calksb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Wink

Well, yeah. I can see that. I liked my story more than the judges did this time, but at least I got my one point.

And some of the stories among those I had read scored higher than I expected. But really, I liked almost all the stories by other people that I read.  

I actually will decide whether or not to be miffed until after I read the comments from the judges.  

calksb

Edited by calksb - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:19pm
Big ol' goose egg over here.  Judges can bite my shiny metal ass. Whatevs, I'll just have to up my game this weekend, assuming my prompts aren't absurd like "romantic horror, a broken stapler, the Gobi Desert" ;)
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by sinister sinister wrote:

Big ol' goose egg over here.  Judges can bite my shiny metal ass. Whatevs, I'll just have to up my game this weekend, assuming my prompts aren't absurd like "romantic horror, a broken stapler, the Gobi Desert" ;)

okay, but I'm totally here for "romantic horror" as a genre
calksb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote calksb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:23pm
Let's see, you needed the stapler to fix your long flowing robes (oh wait, wrong desert) and the horror was you found your ex was along on the high priced tour with their new, fabulously wealthy love interest.

You can bash their heads in with the broken stapler, but that might get you in genre trouble. Unless the our guide is especially attractive.
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

okay, but I'm totally here for "romantic horror" as a genre

I'm pretty sure I've lived that genre, iffin' ya want from real life tips. LOL
JeanlucPIc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeanlucPIc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:25pm
CeeCee was often told she was looking for love in all the wrong places. But an office supply repair shop in Mongolia? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic