NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:57pm
Write this story. I command it.
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:08pm
K, great, just got my feedback, and I was once again screwed by a judge who dinged me because the judge didn't agree with a perceived political bent to my story.  That's the second time I've been f**ked over by the political views of a judge.  Honestly, f**k it, I'm out.  
LMBird View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:09pm
Quote CeeCee was often told she was looking for love in all the wrong places. But an office supply repair shop in Mongolia? 

Quote  Write this story. I command it.

I almost feel like we need to host a little competition of our own and all give this prompt a go, because the hilarity that is bound to happen would be epic.
FF 2022 R1 G112 Do Unto Others
Sephira View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:17pm
Pretty happy with my 3 little points!! Decent feedback from the judges as well, and even the bits I got dinged on were things I agreed with (and in some cases some of it was in the story originally), but simply got cut due to the limited wordcount. On to Challenge 2!
FF19C2: For the Greater Good
FF19C1 Semper Fi
SS19R1 The Past Is Her Future
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:19pm
One judge said "there are no negatives in this well-written piece." So I'm a little confused by the 8th place finish. But I also know it's more than enough to work with over the weekend to get into the next round. So I can't really complain. I guess. *grumbles under breath*
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

Originally posted by sinister sinister wrote:

Big ol' goose egg over here.  Judges can bite my shiny metal ass. Whatevs, I'll just have to up my game this weekend, assuming my prompts aren't absurd like "romantic horror, a broken stapler, the Gobi Desert" ;)

okay, but I'm totally here for "romantic horror" as a genre

Please NYC, replace romcom with "romantic horror!" i'm totes down to write that genre
Edgelords are a bore.
cheddarbaked View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheddarbaked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:22pm
Are they sending feedback out already?! Okay, back to the contradictory mix of obsessively refreshing my inbox while peeking out from between my fingers...
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

One judge said "there are no negatives in this well-written piece." So I'm a little confused by the 8th place finish. But I also know it's more than enough to work with over the weekend to get into the next round. So I can't really complain. I guess. *grumbles under breath*

I'm not a judge, so this is purely speculation. But I was wondering the same thing. I was 5th place and had very few "negative" critiques compared to stories that have scored higher in the past.

But I think you can have a story that doesn't have anything "wrong" with it, but still just isn't quite as strong as others in the group. And one judge might think it's perfect while another thinks it's middle of the road. The blessing and the curse of multiple judges I suppose.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I'm not a judge, so this is purely speculation. But I was wondering the same thing. I was 5th place and had very few "negative" critiques compared to stories that have scored higher in the past.

But I think you can have a story that doesn't have anything "wrong" with it, but still just isn't quite as strong as others in the group. And one judge might think it's perfect while another thinks it's middle of the road. The blessing and the curse of multiple judges I suppose.

For sure. And it's totally okay to have had people write better stories than I did.
Showtime014 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Showtime014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:01pm
Does anyone share their feedback?  Just curious if there is a spot for that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>