NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RESULTS ARE UP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:25am
HM here. Pretty bummed out about it, but the competitors in my heat were well represented in the forum and the standard was high.

Good luck to all you round three-ers.

I've been procrastinating about writing a short story for a different project for yonks, so think I might PRETEND I am in round three and use the deadlines to crack my personal whip.

On the bright side - I entered my round one story in a well regarded literary comp here in Oz and just received an email yesterday to say it is a finalist, so yay.

I think my round 2 story has enough puff to place somewhere, but after re-reading it today (while sobbing into my hanky) I can see it is way over the top with pretentious profoundnesses (like that one) and needs to be hosed off with a pressure gun and re-written in a simpler style.

See you in the FFC.

Edited by Nicky Mc - 09 May 2018 at 4:26am
Sponsored Links

neuroanatody View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neuroanatody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:36am
I'm out, waaah Cry

Would have been such great fun to have an intense 24h of writing. Still looking forward to the feedback though.

@Mattrick - when I joined here and saw people saying how they are competing many years in a row, I thought, what, why? Like you, now I know! Definitely had a 'I'll show them next time' moment when I saw the results. :)
neuroanatody View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neuroanatody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:42am
Also, this means only one thing: eurovision partyyyy! 

(I know, I know, nobody can compete with the fellow who is getting married in the breaks between writing)
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:48am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

Originally posted by zeggybobleggy zeggybobleggy wrote:

AAAAAH. SERIOUS PANIC. 

So, I got through, major excitement. BUT I have a bit of a problem.

I thought if I'd got through I'd be writing the 24 hours before my wedding but I've just read another conversation saying we get prompts on the Friday to write on the Saturday. That's the day I get married. The actual day. Good Lord.

Can somebody whose brain isn't as frazzled as mine spell it out for me? I'm in the UK. When will I actually be writing this story?! 

Good Lord, this is a short story in its own right!  Congratulations on both counts!

In the UK you'll get the prompts at 5am Saturday morning and will need to submit by 5am Sunday morning.... so yeah, not ideal for you. Maybe get up at 5, blitz something first thing in the morning?! 

Either way, good luck!

Congratulations! You'll always remember your wedding day but memories of this competition will dissolve to oblivion soon enough. You could consider getting up early, writing about how you feel on this most precious and memorable day, and submitting it as your story. That way, regardless of the prompts, you'll have it forever. Wishing you a wonderful, wonderful day!
FF2019-R1 Writing on Tenement Halls
SSC2019-R2 The Wrath of Vulcan
SSC2019-R1 The Peace Pageant

PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Nicky Mc Nicky Mc wrote:

I've been procrastinating about writing a short story for a different project for yonks, so think I might PRETEND I am in round three and use the deadlines to crack my personal whip.

So I have a crazy idea.  What if anyone who didn't make the final round (from R2 or R1) and who fancy a go at 24 hour challenge - JUST DOES IT ANYWAY!

Someone could post prompts on here at the same time as the OTHER comp and then we just submit entries underneath.  We could do a poll to cast votes OR just have them there for critique.  Personally, I just wanted the challenge. I wouldn't be bothered about being a winner (so poll would be redundant) but I am gutted to be missing out on writing.

If someone in the ether gives me an 'aye' then I'll start a thread.

I don't mind setting the prompts too - and I promise not to give myself an advantage...
PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Mumser Mumser wrote:

Congratulations! You'll always remember your wedding day but memories of this competition will dissolve to oblivion soon enough. You could consider getting up early, writing about how you feel on this most precious and memorable day, and submitting it as your story. That way, regardless of the prompts, you'll have it forever. Wishing you a wonderful, wonderful day!

Beautiful idea Mumser!  What a thing to treasure - it's something I didn't do but oh, to be made to do it! Go for it Zeggybobleggy!
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:59am
HM for me, so I’m out. Disappointed to not be joining the madness this weekend but, oh well. Some you win, some you lose, so what’s next? 😊

Congratulations to everyone who is advancing. May the muse be at your side!

angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:05am
Shocked and thrilled to eek in with 3rd place!!!  I've never made a final before and was pretty positive that Political Satire wouldn't be the vehicle to get me there.

24 hours????  How is this even be possible????????
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:20am
Originally posted by zeggybobleggy zeggybobleggy wrote:

AAAAAH. SERIOUS PANIC. 

So, I got through, major excitement. BUT I have a bit of a problem.

I thought if I'd got through I'd be writing the 24 hours before my wedding but I've just read another conversation saying we get prompts on the Friday to write on the Saturday. That's the day I get married. The actual day. Good Lord.

Can somebody whose brain isn't as frazzled as mine spell it out for me? I'm in the UK. When will I actually be writing this story?! 

That is just priceless!
We will (in the UK) get our prompts at 5am on Saturday morning, with the deadline being 5am Sunday morning!
If you're getting married on Saturday, you're going to have a very interesting wedding night!!

Good Luck....and what a fabulous story to be interviewed for if you win overall!!!!

Paula x

steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:43am
Congrats to everyone moving on! A little disappointed, but also happy to get back to my WIP! So pumped for Flash in July. :)

Good luck on Saturday! :)
Flash Fiction 2019 CH1 GR3 Sew Out of Time (Sci-Fi)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic